My Doc Redirection – Admin access

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2 My Doc Redirection – Admin access

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Noah Body

Hi there,

I found several forum topics on this subject but they have not resolved my issue so I will ask away. :)

I have 3 file servers. They are all doing DFSR in the same replication topology. Part of the data that is replicated is our user’s home folders. My document redirection is setup specifically for each site and the redirected root path is: [URL=”file://\domaindfsroothome”]\domaindfsroothome[/URL]

Everything is working fine but I’ve noticed that the domain admin group does not have access to user’s my documents folders. When I try to look at permissions I am told I don’t have permissions to view permissions. When I look at the root permissions everything looks good and is in line with this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288991

The only way I can gain access to a user’s my documents is to take ownership. I then can access their folder. When I try to take ownership I get this prompt:

“You do not have permission to read the contens of directory D:blahblahblah. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?”

That’s the thing. I already have full controll…but apparently not. If I click yes everything works fine.

I need access as Backup Exec is failing periodically accessing user’s my documents folders. It does not always happen but it happens enough that it’s an issue.

Has anyone seen this before?

Should I just take ownership?

The Microsoft article seems to imply that ownership will be setup correctly and Admins will have access. I don’t want to negate any type of user access but given that DFSR is involved I don’t want to screw anything up.

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.