Defrag & moving exchange store

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2000 / 2003 Defrag & moving exchange store

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    sbexchange

Hi there,

I need to run an offline defrag of one of our Exchange stores. I work at a school, and are regularly creating and deleting mailboxes, and our store has grown enormous!! We are running Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise.

I know how to carry out a defrag, and I also know how to move the edb & stm files.

The edb and stm files currently reside in separate partitions on the exchange server. There is not enough space on the servers to successfully run an offline defrag (due to the 110% space requirement). So I attached an external USB HDD to the exchange server, and attempted to move the edb & stm files to this drive. The files are huge (110GB – EDB & 50GB – STM). However it’s now been 24 hours since I attempted to move both files, and although the status bar shows 100%, it still hasn’t completed.

What should I do? Should I force the process to terminate? I have checked in ADSI that the file paths haven’t yet been altered.

My other question is as follows. Whilst the store is offline, is it possible to copy the EDB & STM files to another PC/server (which has exchange tools installed), run a defrag (eseutil /d) on the files, and then move them back to the server, and restart the store? Will that work?

Thanks in advance! Oh, and it’s quite urgent :-)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.