Reviewf IMF Tune 2.8

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2000 / 2003 Reviewf IMF Tune 2.8

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    RobW

IMF Tune 2.8 (URL REMOVED BY MOD)

For most of my customers, I use Microsoft Intelligent Message Filtering (IMF) on the front end followed by GFI MailEssentials. I am very pleased with the control over spam that I am able to achieve. It was through this site that I learned to set up and configure IMF.

One of the drawbacks to Microsoft IMF is the inability to fine tune it. If I set the SCL to 8, a lot of spam slips through the cracks. If I set it to 7, I get tighter control capturing spam but I always find myself looking in the Ucearchive folder for legitimate e-mail at the request of customers. It is not uncommon for this folder to fill with over 26,000 e-mails in a 30-day period and using IMF Archive Manager is very archaic.

I recently discovered a program called IMF Tune which allows you to configure white lists and blacklists for IMF. It will also allow you to re-route e-mail that has been tagged as spam. You can filter based on recipient, sender, subject and body keywords.

Here is what I did with one customer after a thorough test on my network:

1. Created an account called SPAM
    2. Routed all e-mail with an SCL 7 or greater to SPAM
    3. Added the Mailbox – SPAM to all Outlook 2003 clients so they can search if they occasionally have a missing e-mail. This cuts down on IT costs for my customer.
    4. Went through all my records and built a white list based on e-mails sent to me in the past
    5. Set auto-archive on the Inbox for Mailbox – SPAM to delete after seven days.

If a customer gets any legitimate e-mail tagged as spam, I have asked them to drag the e-mail to their Inbox and then give me the e-mail address so I can white list it.

The cost for this was $148 U.S. for one server and 30 e-mail accounts. There are other licensing options.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.