Group policy weirdness going on between xp/7 client and 2003 DCs.

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2 Group policy weirdness going on between xp/7 client and 2003 DCs.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ranjb
    Participant

Hi
    I have a bit of a dilemma with a problem we are having.
    We have 2 domain controllers running Windows Server 2003. Majority of our clients are XP but we are also running Windows 7 on a few machines.

I created a group policy on a domain controller and then went to my Windows 7 client and ran a gpupdate but it returned with errors.
    The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file [URL=”file://c****d.x***p.com/sysvol/c****d.x***p.com/Policies/%7B4A472870-D26E-4DB8-A679-969E071645D3%7D/gpt.ini”]\c****d.x***p.comsysvolc****d.x***p.comPolicies{4A472870-D26E-4DB8-A679-969E071645D3}gpt.ini[/URL] from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and could be caused by one or more of the following:
    a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.
    b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller).
    c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled.

I had a look at the ways its was suggesting and found that the group policy had replicated to the other DC and confirmed replication was working properly. I also checked whether DFS service was running on the client and both DCs and this was running or wasn’t installed (assumed this was normal) and I also checked connectivity between my client and DCs and everything seems normal.

I checked the sysvol location as stated in event viewer and noticed that with the FQDN if I go to sysvolpolicies. the folder is completely empty, if I type just the domain name I can see all the policies as well as the scripts folder.
    The windows 7 machine is on a different 192 network whereas the test XP machine is on a 151 network. When I check the sysvol location on the XP machine I am able to browse the FQDN but when I browse just the domain name its empty???

Does anyone know what the hell is going on?? I am so confused why its vice versa and why it isn’t consistent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated…

Thanks

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.