I will be upgrading my domain from 2003 R2 x86 to Windows 2008 R2 x64 and want to make sure I have all the steps down. Currently I have two 2003 R2 x86 DCs. DC01 and DC02. I do not have a spare server to add to the domain as a fresh 2008 R2 install and since 2008 R2 is x64 only I will have to demote DC02 and rebuild as 2008 R2. Here are the steps I have.
1) raise domain functional level to Windows 2003
2) raise forest functional level to Windows 2003
3) run netdiag,dcdiag,repadmin and check for errors
4) Make sure all roles are on DC01
5) demote DC02
6) rebuild DC02 as Windows 2008 R2 (w/same IP as it originally had)
7) on DC01 run adprep /forestprep from 2008 R2 cd
8) on DC01 run adprep /domainprep from 2008 R2 cd
9) run DCpromo on DC02
10) move roles from DC01 to DC02
11) demote DC01
12) rebuild DC01 as Windows 2008 R2
13) run dcpromo on DC01
Any suggestions or just a conformation that i have everything listed correctly is appreciated. Thanks.