Moving virtual server to new host

Home Forums Virtualization Virtual Server & Virtual PC Moving virtual server to new host

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Hi, I am new to the world of virtual server, but have been using virtual server 2005 for a while. I have a windows 2003 enterprise server (host) running a vm which is running windows server 2003 standard (guest). I need to wipe the enterprise edition install and redo it and was wondering how I would migrate the vm? It may be important to note that the vm is a dc. My plan after the reinstall is to transfer the role of dc from guest to the host, but that is a topic for another day. Bear in mind this is a test network at home, so no worries about downtime.

My idea is to shutdown the guest os and clear any undo file. Then move the vhd and vhc files to offline storage. Reinstall OS and reinstall virtual server. Move the backed up files from offline storage back to the server. Then create a new virtual machine and import the file.

I think I have the theory correct in my head, but I am worried about the process failing somehow. Is there a detailed document that will show me how to do this?

Thank you.

Tim Stark

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.