Installation of Exchange 2003 on a standalone server

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2000 / 2003 Installation of Exchange 2003 on a standalone server

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    jewen

Hi there, I am fairly new to exchange server 2003, and as such, I am spending some time setting up various network configurations in a virtual environment. I have a couple of questions that relate to the following configurations.

The first configuration was created on one system which ran the following services:

Windows server 2003 ENT,
    DNS
    Active Directory
    Exchange Server 2003.
    XP client

I have been told that it isn’t reccomended to install exchange on the same machine as a domain controller. This also this seems to create issues when shutting down this particular server for maintenance or required reboots.

My first question relates to the above, in that, is this advice correct and what advice would the members give for setting up a small business network that could stretch to no more than three servers.

My second point relates to another test scenario where the following configuration was created:

SERVER 1
    Win 2003
    Active Directory
    DNS

Server 2 Mail Server
    DNS Secondary DNS Server
    Exchange 2003

XP client

The main question that I have is that, when exchange is installed as a standalone server away from the domain controller, Active directory is still installed on Server 2. I appreciate that Active directory is required for Exchange to function, and without it there would be no management of users for exchange to allocate mail boxes to, etc. However one thing I noticed was that when entering the Active directory console on the non domain controller, I was able to manage users, including creating users and pretty much all tasks that I would have beeen able to carry out as if this was the main domain controller. Any updates that were added from server 2 that had exchange installed were then replicated to server 1 the main domain controller. As I had not explicitly created the role on server 2 to act as a secondary controller, how does this work, and more importantly what are the security issues that we have. Again further advice on a good practice installation and implementation on a simalar configuration would be gratefully received.

Apologies for the long post in advance.

Jewen.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.