GET-IT: TEAMS DAY | 1-Day Free Virtual Conference all about Teams. Here on Petri.com - 8/12/20 GET-IT: TEAMS DAY - 8/12/20

Best Hard Drive / RAID setup for my server?

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2 Best Hard Drive / RAID setup for my server?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

First of all, let me say i want sure where to post this – so sorry if its in the wrong section, and this post is a bit rambling – sorry!

ATM, i have a 2003 box with 2 x 160GB SATA drives in RAID1 on a DELL PERC 5/i RAID card. The RAID1 array is then partitioned (30GB for OS the rest for Shared Documents).

Now, im about to install Exchange and setup a few mailboxes. Though there wont be many mailboxes, email is critical to the business – so these need to be kept safe.

My server (Dell PowerEdge 840) can support 4 hard drives total. The server was bought in a hurry, and i believe we were miss sold the PERC card, as for £200 less we could have got another card that still does RAID 1. Needless to say, i dont think we’re using the PERC to its full potential. The card can support RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, and 50, and i was wondering how i could use it best.

The card says “2 x4 SAS connectors” does that mean i can build two arrays on it? In that case, I was thinking of getting 2 more 160GB SATA drives, and having:
    1 x RAID1: 2 x 160GB – OS
    1 x RAID1: 2 x 160GB – Exchange and Documents

Is that the best setup do you think? Or put them all on one RAID 5? Or what? I still dont think the solution above is ideal (id prefer to put the Exchange and Docs on a RAID5, but i cant fit another drive).

What do you think? All comments are much appreciated.

Thanks

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.