VeeamON 2021: Free Online Conference - Register Now VeeamON 2021: Free Online Conference - Register Now

Are Windows 10 Secured-Core PCs the best way to provide a secure computer?

Home Forums Security General Security Are Windows 10 Secured-Core PCs the best way to provide a secure computer?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Robert-Hostetler
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for feedback from people that have actually used Secured-Core PCs. So far, what I have found is Microsoft’s marketing and documentation about it and news articles saying it exists. What I haven’t found yet is feedback from ethical hacker types confirming this stuff is worth it.

Has anyone actually used one of these computers in a secured business/enterprise environment? If so, is it your preferred way to provide a secured Windows 10 computer? Why do you feel it is or isn’t?

Are the two Microsoft Surface devices that are Secured-Core compliant (Surface Pro X and Surface Laptop 4 AMD chip) the best implementations of this since Microsoft also open-sources their BIOS/UEFI firmware?

If someone’s needs can work on Macs or Linux too, are either of those better?

My off the cuff guesses on ways to go here would be:
    * Microsoft manufactured Secured-Core PC
    * Other Secured-Core PCs
    * Get an enterprise grade computer, like a Lenovo ThinkPad that has similar hardware as a Secured-Core PC, but fiddle with the firmware and Windows 10 settings to lock it down
    * Get a Mac (is there evidence that the M1 processors are more securely designed than what Intel’s been doing the past few years and is the security posture of the current version of macOS better than Linux or Windows)
    * Use Linux (assuming either on a ThinkPad or something designed specifically for Linux, like System76), I’m not sure which distro would be appropriate for secure collaboration in a typical office/professional environment

But, if you haven’t heard about it and want to learn more – here is Microsoft’s blog post describing what Secured-Core PCs are supposed to do:
    https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2020/03/17/secured-core-pcs-a-brief-showcase-of-chip-to-cloud-security-against-kernel-attacks/

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Free Online Conference - May 25th and 26th

VeeamON 2021: Free Online Conference

Join us to gain your professional edge with technical and visionary learning from the brightest minds in IT at the definitive conference for Modern Data Protection.

Register Now

Sponsored By