Coming Soon: GET:IT Endpoint Management 1-Day Conference on September 28th at 9:30 AM ET Coming Soon: GET:IT Endpoint Management 1-Day Conference on September 28th at 9:30 AM ET

Are IT Certifications Worth It?

Home Forums General Chat Career Development Are IT Certifications Worth It?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • Russell Smith
    Participant

Do you have any professional qualifications and do you think they are worth obtaining?

Are IT Certifications Worth It?

jack220296
    Participant

I Personally think that IT certification is not worth it, as you have to spend a huge amount on it. Having a degree from a Good Institution providing placement assistance is the best thing you can do. However, If you do not have an IT degree and you belong to some other background and you want to learn more and start a career in IT Then you can search for some courses depending on your budget
    Few IT Courses I know include

AWS Certified Solution Architect
    Project Management Professional
    ITIL Foundation
    Google Certified Professional Cloud Architect

Hope this post has helped to clear your confusion

harris2020
    Participant

The AWS Certification helps you pursue career paths like AWS Solutions Architect, AWS Engineer, DevOps Engineer, Cloud Architect among others. In order to avail these opportunities, you need structured AWS training with an updated curriculum as per current industry requirements and best practices

harris2020
    Participant

jchambers777
    Participant

I would have to disagree with Jack220296 you don’t necessarily need a degree. I have seen quite a few companies wanting someone with experience along with certifications. What do you mean by spending a huge amount on it? Certifications are a lot less expensive then college. No matter what certification one goes for basically you just need to purchase the material and study. Imagine how much debt. one goes into coming out of college compared to getting a certification. On average someone coming out of college will spend the next 5 to 10 years paying off that debt. Trust me I wish I would’ve known that all I needed was experience I would be in a real good position right now. All it takes for one to get where they really want to is hard work and experience. I too thought it was going to take a college degree, but I was wrong. What I can tell you is it takes practice, practice and practice. I wish I could go back to 10yrs. and started learning about routers and switches. Had I figured that out I would be in a much better position today. Take advantage of any free time you have and learn.
    Unfortunately, with me being at the age of 49 doesn’t look like I will be able to get my dream job(sysadmin). Most companies now a days are hiring the younger crowd. I have been at a desktop level for the last 10yrs. and just can’t seem to get ahead. Now that I am older and wiser I just really really wish I could’ve figured this out 10yrs. ago. That in order to move up you have to have the experience which is having your own lab and practice. Or getting hired by a small company where you will be the main IT guy having control of everything. Again, to stress it out make sure you know what you want to do and go for it. The ONLY way to achieve your goals is by practicing with your own lab.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Live Webinar: Active Directory Security: What Needs Immediate Priority!Live on Tuesday, October 12th at 1 PM ET

Attacks on Active Directory are at an all-time high. Companies that are not taking heed are being punished, both monetarily and with loss of production.

In this webinar, you will learn:

• How to prioritize vulnerability management
  • What attackers are leveraging to breach organizations
  • Where Active Directory security needs immediate attention
  • Overall strategy to secure your environment and keep it secured

Sponsored by: