Advice on RAID Array – HP DL100 G2

Home Forums Other General Hardware Advice on RAID Array – HP DL100 G2

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Deland01

I have an Adaptec 2410SA RAID Storage controller in my HP DL100 G2 1TB storage server running RAID5. We currently have x4 250GB disks with 3 logical drives which are as follows:

Logical Disk 1 (DATA) – 680GB – E: drive
    Logical Disk 2 (DON’T ERASE) – 5GB – No drive assigned in Windows
    Logical Disk 3 (PRIMARY) – 12GB – C: drive

I need to increase the size on the Logical Disk 3 (PRIMARY) as this hosts the C: drive on the server and is currently running out of space. I have tried to decrease the partition size on the Logical Disk 1 (DATA) in the hope I could move the space onto Logical Disk 3 (PRIMARY). To do this I used my Acronis partitioning disk to shrink the E: drive thinking it would give the space back to the RAID array but it hasn’t. I tried to reconfigure the array and decrease the drive size but I see this message:

“Logical Device 3 must be at least as large as its original value. Please increase its size before continuing”

As my server only has space for x4 disks and all bays are currently occupied my plan is this:

Replace disk 1 with a 500GB disk, re-scan the array & wait for the new disk to synchronise. Then replace disk 2 with a 500GB disk, re-scan the array & wait for the new disk to synchronise. Continue to do this until all disks have been replaced with bigger 500GB drives.

Im hoping this will then give me some more space to assign to the Logical Disk 3 (PRIMARY).

Does anyone know if this will work before I go & buy x4 new disks?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.