Add new Administrative Template

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2 Add new Administrative Template

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Mikey0782

Hi All !

I’m trying something for the first time, and it doesn’t work like I expect it to…

What I’m trying is to set the Advanced Option in Internet Explorer for “Use TLS 1.0” to be “Selected”. It doesn’t exist as a Policy, so I created a new entry in the registry called “SecureProtocols” in the Internet Settings of HKEY_USERS and exported it as a reg file. Then I cleaned the reg file so it only contains that particular option.

Now for the part I’m trying to understand. I found a tool called “Reg2Adm”. Imported my reg file and converted it to an adm file. Then I used GPMC, created a new GPO on an OU I use for tests and added the Administrative Template.

So… here’s my ADM – my problems and questions are following…

Quote:
    CLASS USER

CATEGORY “.DEFAULTSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInternet Settings”
    KEYNAME “.DEFAULTSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInternet Settings”

POLICY “SecureProtocols”
    PART “SecureProtocols”
    NUMERIC
    VALUENAME “SecureProtocols”
    END PART
    END POLICY

END CATEGORY

1. I’d like to have it called something like “Secure Protocols” or “Turn TLS 1.0 on or off”. Where do I specify that ?
    2. I’d like to have it placed under “Internet Settings” in the Administrative Templates. Can I do that ? If yes, how does it work ?
    3. I actually applied this new policy on my test OU, and did a GPUPDATE /FORCE… TLS 1.0 checkbox is still cleared. No change after a reboot. I’m wondering if the value that I enter is wrong… I’m setting the policy to “Enabled” and the numeric value to “80”. Is that correct ?
    4. How could I define the value inside the policy and then just make a choice available to Enable or Disable it ? (where Enabled would mean “Use TLS 1.0” is checked)
    5. How should I edit the ADM file to add information in the “Explain” tab of the policy ?

Questions 3 & 4 are the important ones, if you have answers to them, or all of them, or could direct me to a useful site where it’s all clearly explained… I would appreciate it :)

Thanks in advance,
    Mikey

PS : You gotta love the “Help/About” page of Reg2Adm… “For use only by System Administrator or Programers who know what this is all about.” Well I’d like to learn what it’s all about, how about referring me to a helpful page or documentation ?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.