GET-IT: TEAMS DAY | 1-Day Free Virtual Conference all about Teams. Here on Petri.com - 8/12/20 GET-IT: TEAMS DAY - 8/12/20

XP password is lost and unrecoverable

Home Forums Security Forgot Administrator Password XP password is lost and unrecoverable

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Thumper01

This is about the most brain-dead thing I have ever done.

XP PRO(SP2) is on a work-group. The company is moving to A.D. and I added the system to the domain to test various things out (like roaming profiles, etc). Everything worked fine until I put the system back on the workgroup level. The previous login (“giscad” in this case) no longer works!! (I didn’t know moving to AD would render the previous (local) logins invalid.

Anyway, I downloaded from http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ but it failed to work. I took the CD home and tested it on my home system and the test user I created fails to login with either the original password or what the above linux-boot CD said it changed it to.

I then tried loginrecovery.com and they failed 100% to retreive ANY of the passwords I sent them (admin and the original user).

Tried booting in safe-mode to gain admin rights and the system gave some type of “windows encountered an error and will close” standard thing

Booted off of the install CD to try and manuall change things around.

Can’t get it to work at all.

Now I don’t mind reloading the system as long as the original data (ERP GIS system data for a county government) will still be there. Doesn’t a reinstall of Windows make a Windows:000 directory or something like that and all information in the “Documents and Settings” folders are still there???

thanks to all!!!

thumper…:-o(

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.