Windows 10 Manual Backup

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 10 Windows 10 Manual Backup

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Kyuuketsuki
    Participant

Hi,

So I am experimenting using Windows File Backup which, by and large, seems fairly competent.

My problem with it is that it is automated and it seems I can only backup to an accessible drive so, for example, my D: drive. That works AOK except that I want to keep my backups offline … in other words I want to connect my backup drive ONLY when the backup is happening and preferably run the backup manually. This is something I can do/have done using a Python script which I use to create a robocopy batch file and that works very well but, being in the home computer support business, I would prefer to use something already available (I’m doing a presentation on backups for home users this Wednesday).

Does anyone know how to run Windows file backup manually? By that I don’t just mean switch it on so it can run when it wants to, I mean switch it on and make it start at the behest (perhaps) of a batch file so I can connect a drive first then disconnect it after.

An alternative might be to have the backup target as a URL or similar.

Keke

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Don't leave your business open to attack! Come learn how to protect your AD in this FREE masterclass!REGISTER NOW - Thursday, December 2, 2021 @ 1 pm ET

Active Directory (AD) is leveraged by over 90% of enterprises worldwide as the authentication and authorization hub of their IT infrastructure—but its inherent complexity leaves it prone to misconfigurations that can allow attackers to slip into your network and wreak havoc. 

Join this session with Microsoft MVP and MCT Sander Berkouwer, who will explore:

• Whether you should upgrade your domain controllers to Windows Server
    2019 and beyond
  • Achieving mission impossible: updating DCs within 48 hours
  • How to disable legacy protocols and outdated compatibility options in
    Active Directory

Sponsored by: