What would you do?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Kobe 310

I started a forum a while ago about deleted files across a mapped drive. All of the answers were the same, that if you delete a file, it’s gone. Understood!!!

But what I’m curious about, is how Facebook, Twitter, Ebay, etc work. I guess I’m just assuming that all of these (god knows how many servers) run together. I would think that it would be a good logical guess to assume that the whole world is not stored on 1 server. Meaning 1 user accounts data could be stored across multiple servers.

I have a setup where I have 3 servers all part of a domain. The platform is set up as Terminal Services. 1 Domain Controller. 1 Terminal Server, and 1 Data Server.

The company shares files are on the Data Server. So I have a lot of mapped drives from each user’s profile on the Terminal Server, to the Data Server. There are 4 different locations that use these servers.

I don’t know of any other way to accomplish these users of retrieving a file from the Data Server without mapping a drive, except of coarse a backup. But if you do that once a day, and the person doesn’t realize that they deleted a file till the next day, it’s gone to because the backup has been overwritten.

I guess what I’m asking, is after reading this, isn’t this the normal way that companies run their severs, if so, I would think by now, there would be something in place to retrieve data deleted across a map, in which makes me think I have this whole platform set up wrong. If I’m wrong, what would you do to set this up properly.

Thanks

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Don't leave your business open to attack! Come learn how to protect your AD in this FREE masterclass!REGISTER NOW - Thursday, December 2, 2021 @ 1 pm ET

Active Directory (AD) is leveraged by over 90% of enterprises worldwide as the authentication and authorization hub of their IT infrastructure—but its inherent complexity leaves it prone to misconfigurations that can allow attackers to slip into your network and wreak havoc. 

Join this session with Microsoft MVP and MCT Sander Berkouwer, who will explore:

• Whether you should upgrade your domain controllers to Windows Server
    2019 and beyond
  • Achieving mission impossible: updating DCs within 48 hours
  • How to disable legacy protocols and outdated compatibility options in
    Active Directory

Sponsored by: