Virtualise 35 desktops

Home Forums Virtualization Virtual Server & Virtual PC Virtualise 35 desktops

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Blood

Hi

We need to replace our XP desktops. We have 18 to replace and the cost is going to be quite high. I was considering virtualising all our desktops instead (35).

However, I’m having trouble finding some reliable figures on the hardware requirements for such a setup. I’m not after hard and fast numbers, I just need a general idea so that I can arrive at a general price and then decide if virtualising our desktops would give us a decent long term ROI.

The majority of the desktops we have would need Win7 pro, 4GB RAM and dual core processors. There are 3 or 4 that need to be double that for advanced graphics/desktop publishing, CAD work and LIDAR/Mapinfo number crunching/display.

I have no idea where to start. I’d like to get a good understanding before talking to anyone about potentially purchasing the hardware to support this setup.

Pricing up 18 desktops comes to between 13 – 14k. Would virtualising 35 desktops be significantly more? Could I start with 18 and then scale up as our existing good hardware starts to fail?

If anyone has any good starting points for me I’d be very grateful.

Thanks!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.