Two sets of unallocated space on HD will not combine.

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2012 / 2012 R2 Two sets of unallocated space on HD will not combine.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • shadragon

Here is a real noodle scratcher.

New physical server with 18TB of space in a single RAID 6 array. It came without an OS and blank drives so I used the W2012 Storage Server R2 install media and formatted 200 GB of space for the OS install leaving the rest of the space unallocated for the storage space.

After a successful OS install, I logged onto Windows and went into Disk Manager to format the rest of the unallocated space into one large partition for use. There I saw the two unallocated spaces side-by-side. Did the following:

Formatted the smaller partition and tried to expand it. No joy. Option to expand is grayed out

Downloaded AOMEI Partition Assistant and it shows a single 18TB unallocated block, but when I use that program to create a partition it only lets me do one 1.81TB in size and I cannot expand it after. It does not see the second 16TB block at all it seems.

If I right-click on the second 16TB block through Windows Disk Manager all options are grayed out.

Before anyone says to format and reinstall, I already did, after wiping out all partitions, Windows saw one continuous block of unallocated space for 18TB. Same thing happened after installing W2012.

Screenshot attached below showing the issue through a few programs.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

External Sharing and Guest User Access in Microsoft 365 and Teams

This eBook will dive into policy considerations you need to make when creating and managing guest user access to your Teams network, as well as the different layers of guest access and the common challenges that accompany a more complicated Microsoft 365 infrastructure.

You will learn:

• Who should be allowed to be invited as a guest?
  • What type of guests should be able to access files in SharePoint and OneDrive?
  • How should guests be offboarded?
  • How should you determine who has access to sensitive information in your environment?

Sponsored by: