replacing CAT5 with fiber…

Home Forums Networking General Networking replacing CAT5 with fiber…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    James Haynes

so i have this skool i maintain. they are somewhat behind as far as technology is concerned, so im trying to get connectivity across their campus.

they pretty much have a campus made out of quad-wide trailers. the wiring was installed when the place was set up and runs in conduits under the sidewalks and such. thing is, there was some kinda fire and all the runs to this one building got fried.

i find this out after i set up a second lab and dropped in a switch… no link. better yet, i go to test the line and it has AC voltage running across it. i didnt need a meter, my hand clamped down on it pretty good…

so what im proposing is that i dont run anymore CAT. i would have to replace 20 CAT runs to get the building wired again…

im thinking im going to run a piece of fiber into each building and put a gbic or fiber convertor. so how do i determine how and what type of fiber to run? i have worked with fiber, but usually in a pre-existing scenario. this place has no fiber at all…

each building has a run of 15 to 20 CAT ‘home-run’ lines. is a single strand enough to replace all that CAT? they arent really bandwidth heavy or anything, they just need access to the file server and web…

single mode? multi-mode? idk…

even with all the converters and fiber, i still think its cheaper than running 2000 feet of CAT.

any caveats, comments, suggestions, input that might be worthwhile during the planning process?

thanks guys,
    j

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.