LIVE NOW: GET-IT: Endpoint Management 1-Day Conference LIVE NOW: GET-IT: Endpoint Management 1-Day Conference

RDP encryption vs VPN encryption

Home Forums Virtualization Terminal Services RDP encryption vs VPN encryption

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • raylward102
    Participant

I have 30 rdp hosts, port forwarded via SonicWALL on various ports (not standard 3389), for 15years and counting; Never had a problem. IT admins cringe when I explain my setup and wonder why? RDP has encryption built into it and the users are using strong passwords. Almost everyone I talk to, on the subject, immediately says it’s a no-no and should be using a VPN tunnel, because it’s encrypted (almost like everyone saying I’m running naked otherwise). I have audited our systems logs and seen the many bot’s, chewing away, trying to guess our passwords. Recently, I let an IT admin talk me into using our sonicwall SSL vpn; We did this and along the way had to explain to everyone why we made the changes; why we were making the remote access a little more cumbersome, adding a second step; At the end of the day, aren’t these hackers just re-focusing there attention on the hacking of my SSL VPN? What are your thoughts on this?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Live Webinar: Active Directory Security: What Needs Immediate Priority!Live on Tuesday, October 12th at 1 PM ET

Attacks on Active Directory are at an all-time high. Companies that are not taking heed are being punished, both monetarily and with loss of production.

In this webinar, you will learn:

• How to prioritize vulnerability management
  • What attackers are leveraging to breach organizations
  • Where Active Directory security needs immediate attention
  • Overall strategy to secure your environment and keep it secured

Sponsored by: