Having trouble understanding how mail delivery is configured, please help

Home Forums Server Operating Systems SBS 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / 2011 Having trouble understanding how mail delivery is configured, please help

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    davids355

I have a server running SBS 2008.
    Everything is working without issue, however, I cannot understand how the email delivery is actually working.

Exchange is listening on Port 25, if I connect directly via telnet I can deliver an email to any user on the domain, so everything is working as it should be.

However, when I look up the MX records for the domain, the first result (Pref 5) is a non existant domain that will not resolve to an IP address, the second and third results are the FQDNs for the two mailservers run by the domains registrar.

for arguements sake, mail1.domainmanagement.com, mail2.domainmanagement.com

So based on that, I would expect that our server must be picking the mail up from those servers via some sort of pop connector.

But SBS pop connector is not configured, and I cannot see any third party connector present on the system, or in services.

If I send an email to a domain user, it is delivered within 1 minute or less, and if I make a new email address for a user, and send to that it is also delivered.

I have tried calling the domain host, but they cannot provide much help.

Am I missing something obvious?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.