DNS Issue: "A" Record Keeps Changing

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services DNS DNS Issue: "A" Record Keeps Changing

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ScatterBrain

Last night I updated several virtual machines that were running on VMware Server 1.02 to VMware ESXi 4.1. Everything seemed to work except for one hitch – every server that I migrated ended up loosing their original virtual network interface and had it replaced with a new one. The new network interface was configured for DHCP, and as such changed the DNS entrieswhen recieving their new IP information. I repaired this, restoring the original static IP addresses.

(The VMware conversion process caused this problem, I followed these directions to fix it.)

The problem is, every so often, the DHCP-based entries re-appear in DNS.

As you can imagine, this is causing all kinds of connection issues with services today.

It’s acting like DNS replication is causing the problem, but I can’t seem to track it down. It appears as though the change is occuring every hour at the top of the hour (I’m getting this from the timestamp value reported in the DNS console.)

A bit of information about my DNS setup: I have 4 DNS servers – three running Windows Server 2003 R2, one running 2008 R2.

Whenever I change the entry, I change it on the 2008 R2 server (because it’s faster, no other reason).

Has anyone else seen this problem? More importantly, anyone know how to cure it? Can someone tell me WHY it’s happening?

Thanks in advance,

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.