Configure non-RAID disk into RAID 1 array without losing data/restoring

Home Forums Other General Hardware Configure non-RAID disk into RAID 1 array without losing data/restoring

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Taw_Jackson

Hi there folks

Apologies in advance if this is a goofy question.

I have a server (HP DL) with a single disk hanging off a non-raid scsi adapter.

What I would like to do, with the additon of another disk the same size as the existing disk, is create a RAID 1 array on another server which has (obviously) a raid controller.

Now, I suspect the common response to this query is ‘you can’t create a raid 1 array using an existing disk without losing the existing os/data’.

However, I am certain in a dark and distant part of my career that I witnessed someone do that very thing – though unfortunately I don’t know how it was done, nor can I remember the server hardware make.

Having google’d, it seems that some raid controllers store the raid data in a chip on the raid card as opposed to on the disk, so the disk doesn’t need to be over-written when the raid array is created.

And that somehow it is possible to take an existing disk, create a degraded raid 0 array, which doesn’t affect the data at all on the disk, and then ‘morph’ the raid 0 into a raid 1 array, with the additon of another disk.

As I say, I am certain I have seen an existing disk being used in a new raid 1 array on another server without the data being affected.

Can anyone advise if they succeeded at this before?

Thanks in advance

Taw_J

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.