Coming Soon: GET:IT Endpoint Management 1-Day Conference on September 28th at 9:30 AM ET Coming Soon: GET:IT Endpoint Management 1-Day Conference on September 28th at 9:30 AM ET

Backup Domain Controller Failed to Promote

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 Backup Domain Controller Failed to Promote

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • tekman2000

Hello all,

I could really use some assistance with this situation as I am not sure how to proceed and I do not want to make things worse.

This is actually a pretty simple setup……

One Domain with just two servers…. a Windows 2003 server (Dellsvr1) which was the Primary Domain Controller and a Windows 2008 server (Dellsvr2) (with service pack 2) which was setup as the Backup Domain Controller.

The Windows 2003 server (Dellsvr1) crashed because TWO of the eight hard drives failed. It was setup as a RAID 5. I have file by file backups and I also made images of it. So, I was able to get this company going again by installing their database apps onto another system for right now. But I can not get either image to load …. And that is a long story itself.

But where I am at right now is the Windows 2008 Backup Domain Controller (Dellsvr2) failed to promote itself properly when the Primary Domain Controller died.

And I am stuck with an Event ID error of 1864. I just do not want to make matters worse so I thought I would ask for advice before proceeding.

Please see the attached results of the DCDIAG that I ran on the Windows 2008 Backup Domain Controller (Dellsvr2).

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Live Webinar: Active Directory Security: What Needs Immediate Priority!Live on Tuesday, October 12th at 1 PM ET

Attacks on Active Directory are at an all-time high. Companies that are not taking heed are being punished, both monetarily and with loss of production.

In this webinar, you will learn:

• How to prioritize vulnerability management
  • What attackers are leveraging to breach organizations
  • Where Active Directory security needs immediate attention
  • Overall strategy to secure your environment and keep it secured

Sponsored by: