Enable Remote Desktop on Windows Server 2003
With Remote Desktop on Windows XP Professional or Windows Server 2003 (in Windows 2000 Advanced Server, this feature was called Terminal Services in Remote Administration Mode), you can have access to a Windows session that is running on your computer when you are at another computer. Read What’s Remote Desktop in Windows XP/2003? for more info.
To enable the RDP service on Windows Server 2003 follow the next steps:
- Go to Control Panel.
- Click System.
- Go to the Remote tab.
- Select the “Allow users to connect remotely to this computer” box.
- Click Ok.
BTW, next time you need to open the System applet you can do so much faster: instead of clicking your way to the System icon, you can just right click My Computer and choose Properties, or even better – press the Windows Logo key on your keyboard and then press Pause/Break at the same time.
Note: In order for the RDP connection to work you need to allow TCP port 3389 connections to the server. You also need the name and password of one of the local (or domain) administrators, because this type of connection is only allowed for administrative accounts.
You might also want to read the following related articles:
- Add a new RDP Listening Port to Terminal Server
- Change Terminal Server Listening Port
- Download RDP 5.2
- Download Remote Desktop Web Connection for XP SP1
- Install Remote Desktop Web Connection on Windows XP
- Install Remote Desktop Web Connection on Windows Server 2003
- Offer Remote Assistance in Windows XP/2003
- Quickly Connect to Remote Computers
- Remotely Enable Remote Desktop on Windows Server 2003
- Securing RDP/Terminal Services Communications
- Use RDP Client to Connect to a Different Port
- Use Terminal Server Client to Connect to a Different Port
- What’s Remote Desktop in Windows XP/2003?
- What’s Remote Assistance in Windows XP/2003?
More in Networking
Static vs Dynamic IP Address - What's the Difference?
Mar 29, 2022 | Jason Wynn
What is DNS?
Mar 11, 2022 | Siji Roy
What is 5G and How is it Better Than 4G LTE?
Feb 24, 2022 | Jason Wynn
What is a DHCP Server?
Dec 7, 2021 | Jason Wynn
How to Access and Triage Network Connectivity in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center
May 19, 2021 | Michael Reinders
Paul Thurrott's Short Takes: February 22
Feb 22, 2019 | Paul Thurrott
Most popular on petri