Office 2010 Support Ends Today
If you are still running Office 2010, you need to seriously consider upgrading your apps immediately. Today is the last day of support for the applications and going forward you will no longer receive updates of any kind.
Microsoft has made it clear on its support page that there will not be any extensions for the application suite and that the sun has officially set for Office 2010. That being said, this doesn’t mean your software will stop working, it’s that they will no longer receive security updates and can expose your environment to external threats.
What end of support means for you after October 13, 2020
- Microsoft will no longer provide technical support, bug fixes, or security fixes for Office 2010 vulnerabilities which may be subsequently reported or discovered. This includes security updates which can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.
- You’ll no longer receive Office 2010 software updates from Microsoft Update.
- You’ll no longer receive phone or chat technical support.
- No further updates to support content will be provided and most online help content will be retired.
- You’ll no longer be able to download Office 2010 from the Microsoft web site.
If you are going to upgrade, a natural path is to Office 365, or depending on the applications and services you will utilize Microsoft 365. While not many people like the subscription model, the truth is that it is here to stay and if you want to be on the leading edge of application features and functions, it’s your only option.
Consider that efficiency at enterprise scale can mean the difference between gaining a competitive advantage or falling behind, Microsoft (and the ecosystem) have made it difficult to adopt any solution other than Microsoft 365. Yes, the cost will likely increase for your organization but the products and services that unlock with the higher tiers of the offering are class-leading services.