Linux Guest Support for Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1
Download the Virtual Machine Additions for Linux, available from Microsoft Connect (see link below) in order to improve the experience of running qualified Linux distributions on Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1. The Virtual Machine Additions for Linux provide the following capabilities:
- Guest and host synchronization for time synchronization, for heartbeat generation, and for coordinated shutdown operations
- Mouse driver
- Display driver
- SCSI hard disk emulation
Note: The SCSI hard disk Virtual Machine Additions component requires Virtual Server 2005 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
Qualified Linux Guest Operating Systems
The Virtual Machine Additions for Linux can be installed in the following Linux Operating Systems when running as guests of Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1:
Read the Best Personal and Business Tech without Ads
Staying updated on what is happening in the technology sector is important to your career and your personal life but ads can make reading news, distracting. With Thurrott Premium, you can enjoy the best coverage in tech without the annoying ads.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 (update 7)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0 (update 8)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0 (update 4)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9.0
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10.0
- Red Hat Linux 9.0
- SuSE Linux 9.3
- SuSE Linux 10.0
- SuSE Linux 10.1
- SuSE Linux 10.2
The Virtual Machine Additions for Linux provide the following capabilities:
- Improved Mouse and Video interaction for the Linux Guest
- Host services to enable coordinated shutdown, time synchronization and heartbeat between the Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 host and the Linux Guest
The Virtual Machine Additions for Linux are available through the Microsoft Download Center or at THIS link.
Note: This download used to be accessible only through the Connect site. Now that the Linux Additions are available from the Microsoft Download Center there is no need to continue releasing them via Connect anymore.
- Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 now available
- Mounting VHD files with VHDMount
- Download Exchange 2007 Virtual Machines
- Microsoft Virtual Hard Disk Test Drive Program
- Creating Differencing Disks with Microsoft Virtual PC
Recent Virtual Server & PC Forum threads
Got a question? Post it on our Virtual Server & Virtual PC Forum!