Replace Windows/MSN Messenger
Is there a good (free) replacement for the Windows/MSN Messenger program?
Yes. I like to work with a cool piece of software called Miranda IM.
Miranda IM is a smaller, faster, easier instant messenger with support for multiple protocols. Miranda IM is designed to be resource efficient and easy to use while still providing many features including support for AIM, Jabber, ICQ, IRC, MSN, Yahoo, and more. Supplemented by hundreds of plugins and other content, Miranda IM is very flexible and provides many avenues for customization.
Read the Best Personal and Business Tech without Ads
Staying updated on what is happening in the technology sector is important to your career and your personal life but ads can make reading news, distracting. With Thurrott Premium, you can enjoy the best coverage in tech without the annoying ads.
The Miranda IM 0.5.1 release provides increased stability over previous releases. Along with stability improvements, support for Google Talk contacts has been improved with the introduction of typing notifications and avatar retrieval with Google Talk users. If you are using Miranda IM 0.5 or earlier, this is a highly recommended upgrade.
- Available protocols – ICQ, AIM, MSN, Jabber, Yahoo, Gadu-Gadu, Tlen, Netsend, and more
- Supported OS – Windows 95, 98, Me, NT4, 2000 & XP
- License – Miranda IM is published under the GPL license and is free of charge.
Here are some screenshots of Miranda:
Miranda IM is now offering version 0.5.1 You can download the file from HERE (1.02mb)
BTW, if you don’t know by now, you may want to know that a newer version of the Microsoft MSN Messenger client is available. It is labeled Windows Live Messenger for Windows XP, W2K and Windows Server 2003. You can download it from the Update Windows Messenger page.
You might also want to read the following related articles:
- Configure Instant Messaging in Exchange 2000
- Configure Instant Messaging SRV Records
- Disable Windows Messenger in Windows XP
- Download MSN Messenger
- Download NetMeeting for Windows 9X/NT 4.0
- Download Windows Messenger
- Download Windows Live Messenger
- Find your Microsoft Passport Password
- Hide the Windows Messenger Icon in Windows XP
- Update Windows Messenger
- Uninstall Windows Messenger in Windows XP