Quickly Share Folders from Desktop
I want to be able to quickly create shares or manage shares from my desktop. How can I do that?
No problem. In Windows 2000/XP/2003 you can easily create new shares and manage existing shares from the Shared Folder MMC snap-in.
You can access the Shared Folder MMC snap-in by opening Computer Management (Right-click My Computer > Manage), by running a custom-made MMC, or by running
Say Goodbye to Traditional PC Lifecycle Management
Traditional IT tools, including Microsoft SCCM, Ghost Solution Suite, and KACE, often require considerable custom configurations by T3 technicians (an expensive and often elusive IT resource) to enable management of a hybrid onsite + remote workforce. In many cases, even with the best resources, organizations are finding that these on-premise tools simply cannot support remote endpoints consistently and reliably due to infrastructure limitations.
from the run command.
If you only what the New Share functionality and you want quick access to it you can follow this trick:
Create a new shortcut on your desktop with the following command:
Give it a name and run it:
You can also gain quick access to the old, NT-style share management software (that used to be found in Server Manager) by creating a new shortcut on your desktop with the following command:
Give it a name and run it:
You can create, manage and stop sharing existing shares, but pay attention that you will get the old, NT-styled permission wizard, and you will not get the Active Directory Publishing feature found the the Windows Server 2003 Shared Folder MC snap-in.
Even with these limitations in mind, using these shortcuts can make folder sharing much easier for some of you.
You might also want to read the following related articles:
- Add Administrative Tools Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003
- Add Command Prompt Here Shortcut to Windows Explorer
- Add Scanners and Cameras Icon to the Desktop in XP Pro
- Add Scheduled Tasks Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003
- Add Spell Checking to Internet Explorer
- Change or Add OEM Logo and Information
- Customize a New XP Installation
- Customize Command Prompt in Windows XP/2000/2003
- Customize the Places Bar in Office XP
- Delete the Recycle Bin Icon from the Desktop in XP/2003
- Disable Shared Documents Folder in Windows XP
- Extract Specific Tools from Adminpak.msi
- Microsoft Powertoys Suit
- Quickly Search Active Directory from the Desktop
- Remove the Manage My Computer Context Menu from My Computer in 2000/XP/2003
- Restore Classic Search in Windows XP
- Send To Notepad Shortcut
- Shell Enhancements and other Tweaks for Windows XP/2000/2003
- Unhide Recycle Bin when Dragging and Dropping Files