Microsoft Powertoys Suit
What are the Windows XP Powertoys? Where can I get them?
The Microsoft Powertoys are small tools/gadgets from Microsoft that enhance Windows. Powertoys have been around since windows 95 and are a must for power users.
Get them HERE.
Note: You *can* install all of them, but since most of them are either crap or plain resource hogging, you will only need the 2 that are a MUST:
- Open Command Window Here: Adds an “Open Command Window Here” context menu option on file system folders, giving you a quick way to open a command window (cmd.exe) pointing at the selected folder. You can also get it from HERE if the link at Microsoft breaks (which has happened before).
- Tweak UI: Gives you access to system settings that are not exposed in the Windows XP default user interface, including mouse settings, Explorer settings, taskbar settings, and more. You can also get it from HERE, or get the Win9X version HERE).
If you really need to, read on.
Current Powertoys include
- Open Command Window Here – This PowerToy adds an “Open Command Window Here” context menu option on file system folders, giving you a quick way to open a command window (cmd.exe) pointing at the selected folder.
- Alt-Tab Replacement – With this PowerToy, in addition to seeing the icon of the application window you are switching to, you will also see a preview of the page. This helps particularly when multiple sessions of an application are open. Note: If you install the Powertoys make absolutely sure you DO NOT install the ALT-TAB Replacement tool. It’ll hog down your system.
- Tweak UI – This PowerToy gives you access to system settings that are not exposed in the Windows XP default user interface, including mouse settings, Explorer settings, taskbar settings, and more.
- Power Calculator – With this PowerToy you can graph and evaluate functions as well as perform many different types of conversions.
- Image Resizer – This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a right-click.
- CD Slide Show Generator – With this PowerToy you can view images burned to a CD as a slide show. The Generator works down-level on Windows 9x machines as well.
- Virtual Desktop Manager – Manage up to four desktops from the Windows taskbar with this PowerToy.
- Taskbar Magnifier – Use this PowerToy to magnify part of the screen from the taskbar.
- HTML Slide Show Wizard – This wizard helps you create an HTML slide show of your digital pictures, ready to place on your Web site.
- Webcam Timershot – This PowerToy lets you take pictures at specified time intervals from a Webcam connected to your computer and save them to a location that you designate.
You might also want to read the following related articles:
- Add Administrative Tools Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003
- Add Command Prompt Here Shortcut to Windows Explorer
- Add Printers and Fax Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003
- Add Scanners and Cameras Icon to the Desktop in XP Pro
- Add Scheduled Tasks Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003
- Add Spell Checking to Internet Explorer
- Change or Add OEM Logo and Information
- Customize a New XP Installation
- Customize Command Prompt in Windows XP/2000/2003
- Customize the Places Bar in Office XP
- Delete the Recycle Bin Icon from the Desktop in XP/2003
- Disable Shared Documents Folder in Windows XP
- Quickly Search Active Directory from the Desktop
- Quickly Share Folders from Desktop
- Restore Classic Search in Windows XP
- Send To Notepad Shortcut
- Shell Enhancements and other Tweaks for Windows XP/2000/2003
- Unhide Recycle Bin when Dragging and Dropping Files
More in Windows Client OS
Microsoft Releases May 2022 Patch Tuesday Updates
May 11, 2022 | Laurent Giret
Best Practices for Installing Active Directory Domain Controllers in a Virtual Machine
Apr 15, 2022 | Michael Taschler
A Complete Guide to Robocopy
Apr 7, 2022 | Michael Reinders
11 Ways to Take a Screenshot on Windows Devices
Mar 30, 2022 | Siji Roy
How to Install Hyper-V on Windows Server Core
Mar 16, 2022 | Michael Reinders
How to Download And Install Fonts in Windows 10
Feb 21, 2022 | Michael Reinders
Most popular on petri