Enable Remote Assistance in XP/2003
How can I enable Remote Assistance in Windows XP or Windows Server 2003?
Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 install the Remote Assistance feature by default.
To check your configuration:
- Go to Control Panel > System > Remote. You can also right-click My Computer (if the icon is shown on the desktop).
Note: A faster way for opening up the System applet is to press the Windows Logo key on your keyboard and then press Pause/Break at the same time.
- The Allow Remote Assistance invitations to be sent from this computer box should be checked.
- Press the Advanced button to Set the maximum amount of time invitations can remain open. The maximum is 30 days.
- If you want the expert user to be able to control your computer, check the Allow this computer to be controlled remotely box.
- Press OK.
- If you made any changes, press the Apply button.
- Press OK.
You can Allow Remote Assistance invitations to be sent from this computer by using the registry:
- Use Regedit to navigate to
- Double-click the fAllowToGetHelp Value Name, a REG_DWORD data type, and set the data value to 1. A data value of 0 will deny connections.
Note: You do NOT have to restart for this change to become effective.
Overview of Remote Assistance in Windows XP – 300546
HOW TO: Configure a Computer to Receive Remote Assistance Offers in Windows XP – 301527
Mobile Computing with Windows XP
Description of the Remote Assistance Connection Process – 300692
More in Windows Client OS
How to Easily Edit the Hosts File in Windows 11
Jan 12, 2023 | Russell Smith
Microsoft's January Patch Tuesday Updates Fix 98 Windows Vulnerabilities
Jan 11, 2023 | Laurent Giret
How to Use Windows File Recovery to Recover Lost Files
Dec 12, 2022 | Michael Reinders
How to Enable Windows 11 Config Lock on Secured-Core PCs
Dec 2, 2022 | Dean Ellerby
How to Install Google Drive for Desktop (Install & Set Up)
Nov 23, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
How to Use Local Administrator Password Solution (LAPS) with Active Directory and Azure AD
Nov 14, 2022 | Michael Reinders
Most popular on petri