Windows Mobile Device Center 6 for Windows Vista
As a long time fan of Pocket PC devices (I cannot keep count on the number of devices I owned, borrowed, ruined or messed up with…) I’ve gotten used to working with Microsoft’s ActiveSync software since its’ earliest versions. With time, the ActiveSync tool has evolved and can now be found at version 4.5.
But with the advent of Windows Vista, Microsoft has come up with a new (and fancier) program that will eventually replace the ActiveSync tool that can be still used on previous versions of Windows operating systems. This program’s name is “Windows Mobile Device Center”.
Windows Mobile Device Center helps you to manage your Windows Mobile powered pocket PC (or PPC for short). It provides access to online services and programs for your device, makes it possible for your device to connect to other resources through your PC, and keeps information up to date on both your device and your PC. Windows Mobile Device Center also helps you to import pictures automatically from your device into Windows, and to sync video and music with your device.
Read the Best Personal and Business Tech without Ads
Staying updated on what is happening in the technology sector is important to your career and your personal life but ads can make reading news, distracting. With Thurrott Premium, you can enjoy the best coverage in tech without the annoying ads.
Just like ActiveSync, the Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center enables you to set up new partnerships, synchronize content and manage music, pictures and video with Windows Mobile powered devices (Windows Mobile 2003 or later).
You can use a USB cable to connect your device to your PC, or optionally, use Bluetooth or Infrared if you have one enabled on both your computer and your PPC.
Windows Mobile Device Center Features Include:
- Streamlined setup – A simplified new partnership wizard and improved partnership management.
- Robust synchronization – Synchronization of business-critical data such as e-mail, calendars, contacts, tasks, favorites, and files.
- Enhanced user interface – A simple and compelling user interface helps you to quickly access critical tasks and configure your device.
- File browsing – A new device browsing experience enables you more quickly browse files and folders and open documents on your device directly from your PC.
- Photo management – Picture management helps you detect new photos on your Windows Mobile powered device, tag and import them to the Windows Vista Photo Gallery.
- Media synchronization – Use Microsoft Windows Media Player to synchronize and shuffle music files on your device.
Note: If you have a previous version of Windows Mobile Device Center installed you will first need to uninstall it before installing the new release.
Mobile Device Center System Requirements:
Windows Mobile Device Center is currently only available for the following versions of Microsoft Windows Vista:
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Home Basic
Microsoft Outlook XP/2003/2007 is required for synchronization of e-mail, contacts, tasks and notes to your computer.
Windows Mobile Device Center supports Windows Mobile 2003 or later devices.