Internet Explorer 7 Crashes when Posting Messages in OWA 2003
We all love Outlook Web Access (OWA) in Exchange Server 2003. However when using Internet Explorer 7 (if you still don’t have it read Download IE7) to browse to OWA 2003 we’ve encountered a nasty problem:
You compose a new message:
You click on Send, and boom:
Read the Best Personal and Business Tech without Ads
Staying updated on what is happening in the technology sector is important to your career and your personal life but ads can make reading news, distracting. With Thurrott Premium, you can enjoy the best coverage in tech without the annoying ads.
Microsoft has acknowledges this to be a problem (read MS KB 924334 for more info) and has posted a hotfix that needs to be installed on the Exchange servers.
Download the hotfix right here: Update for Exchange Server 2003 SP2 (KB 924334) (2.8mb)
Note: During the installation of this hotfix the Exchange Information Store service will be stopped and re-started, therefore plan for a couple of minutes of downtime for your mailboxes.
Important note about using Front-End and Back-End servers: If you have a FE/BE setup you MUST install this hotfix on all Front-End servers BEFORE installing it on the Back-End servers. Otherwise you might have issues with OWA (thank you Guy Teverovsky for this input).
After installing the hotfix on the server you must uninstall the S/MIME control from any computer that’s using IE7, and reinstall the new S/MIME control from the server.
In order to remove the S/MIME control use Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel.
After removing the old S/MIME control, use OWA’s Options screen to install it again (this time it’ll be the new version):
When you’ll look at the Add/Remove Programs applet (and on the Exchange server in the Exchweb folder) you’ll see you’ve got a new version:
Note: Microsoft has released a new version of this hotfix – see updated download link below. After installing the new version you will see a new version number in the Add/Remove Programs applet:
Users should now remove the older hotfix and re-install the new one.
You may find these related articles of interest to you:
- Configuring Forms-Based Authentication in OWA and Exchange 2003
- Configure ISA to Publish OWA
- Configure Message Security in Exchange 2003
- Configure Message Security in Outlook 2003
- Configure Message Security in OWA 2003
- Configure OMA in Exchange 2003
- Configure OWA 2003 Attachment Blocking
- Configure SSL on OMA
- Configure SSL on OWA
- Configure SSL on Your Website with IIS
- Configure Web Access to Newsgroups Hosted on Exchange 2000/2003
- Disable Spell Checking in OWA 2003
- Enable Password Changing through OWA in Exchange 2003
- Hebrew Subject Problems in OWA 2003
- Internet Explorer 7 Crashes when Opening Exchange System Manager Help
- How to Synchronize a Pocket PC with Exchange 2003?
- Problems with Forms-Based Authentication and SSL in ActiveSync
- Removing S/MIME Control in OWA 2003
- Reset OWA 2000/2003 Language
- Test OMA in Exchange 2003
- Web Access to Alternate PF