Extract Specific Tools from Adminpak.msi
How can I extract only specific Snap-ins from the Adminpak.msi?
Installing the adminpak.msi will install all of the tools found in it without prompting you which tool to install.
You can, however, run the installation from the Command Prompt or from the Run menu, and choose which tools to extract and install.
For example: If you wish to extract only the AD MMC Snap-ins from the Adminpak.msi file, use the following command syntax:
msiexec /i adminpak.msi ADDLOCAL=FeADTools /qb
(Where FeADTools is the abbreviation for “Active Directory Tools”. This will install only the AD-related MMC Snap-Ins).
Note: Make sure there is no space between the ADDLOCAL and the “=” character, and between the “=” character and the FeADTools switch.
Note: The adminpak.msi file is not available on the Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Pro CD-ROM, but you can install it from the Windows 2000/2003 Server CD-ROM or download it from Microsoft’s web site see links at the bottom of this page).
Other abbreviations are:
- FeRRASConsole – Routing and Remote Access
- FeDHCPConsole – DHCP
- FeDNSConsole – DNS
- FeDFSConsole – Distributed File System
- FeWINSConsole – WINS
- FeTAPIConsole – Telephony
- FeACSConsole – QoS Admission Control
- FeCERTConsole – Certification Authority
- FeClusterConsole – Cluster Administrator
- FeCMAKConsole – Connection Manager Administration Kit
- FeIASConsole – Internet Authentication Service
- FeIISConsole – Internet Information Services
- FeRSConsole – Remote Storage
- FeTSClientConsole – Terminal Services Client
- FeTSMgrConsole – Terminal Services Manager
You can install adminpak.msi directly from the Windows 2000/2003 Server CD media or find it in the %systemroot%\system32 folder on one of your Windows 2000/2003 servers.
I’ve created this simple script for you to use. Extract the files into the folder where you’ve placed adminpak.msi and double-click the INSTALL.BAT file. Download the files right here:
Or you can download Adminpak.msi + Installation script right here:
- Adminpak.msi for W2K + script to install specific adminpak snap-ins (14.5mb).
- Adminpak.msi for Windows Server 2003 + script to install specific adminpak snap-ins (12.7mb).
You might also want to read the following related articles:
- Add Administrative Tools Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003
- Add Command Prompt Here Shortcut to Windows Explorer
- Add Printers and Fax Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003
- Add Scanners and Cameras Icon to the Desktop in XP Pro
- Add Scheduled Tasks Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003
- Administer Windows 2000/2003 Domain from Windows XP
- Download Windows 2000 Adminpak
- Download Windows 2003 Adminpak
- LDAP Search Samples for Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2000/2003
- Quickly Search Active Directory from the Desktop
- Saved Queries in Windows Server 2003 AD Users & Computers
More in Windows Client OS
How to Enable Windows 11 Config Lock on Secured-Core PCs
Dec 2, 2022 | Dean Ellerby
How to Install Google Drive for Desktop (Install & Set Up)
Nov 23, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
How to Use LAPS to Manage Local Admin Account Passwords in Active Directory and Azure AD
Nov 14, 2022 | Michael Reinders
Microsoft's November Patch Tuesday Updates Fix 69 Windows Flaws
Nov 9, 2022 | Laurent Giret
What Are the Different Windows Logon Types?
Oct 31, 2022 | Michael Reinders
October 2022 Patch Tuesday Updates Fix 85 Windows Vulnerabilities
Oct 12, 2022 | Laurent Giret
Most popular on petri