Unhide Recycle Bin when Dragging and Dropping Files
How do I drag and drop a file to the Recycle Bin if it’s hidden behind many open windows?
This is one of these cool tips that you’ll never forget. This tip was new to me and when I first used it I found myself with my jaw hanging…
Sometimes one might want to drag-and-drop a file or folder from on of his or her Windows Explorer windows to the Recycle Bin that’s found on the desktop. This can be easily accomplished when the Recycle Bin icon is visible on the desktop. You just drag and drop the file to the Recycle Bin icon, when your mouse cursor is over the Recycle Bin icon the icon will be marked, and when you let go of the left mouse button the file you’ve just dragged will be dropped to the Recycle Bin and deleted.
But wait, how will you drag and drop the file or folder to the Recycle Bin icon if the icon is obscured and hidden behind other open windows?
I know, you can minimize all open windows and then re-open the Explorer window, move the window border so it won’t hide the Recycle bin icon, and then drag to file to that icon.
But now listen to this:
Drag the file you want to delete to an empty spot on your Taskbar. Just hold the mouse button for 2 or 3 seconds, don’t let go of the button.
Wow! See how the window that hid the Recycle Bin behind it now minimizes, and you will now be able to see the Recycle Bin icon.
Now (you’re still holding that mouse button, right?) continue to drag the file on top of the Recycle Bin icon, make sure the icon appears to be selected, then let go of the mouse button (drop).
You might also want to read the following related articles:
- Add Administrative Tools Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003
- Add Command Prompt Here Shortcut to Windows Explorer
- Add Printers and Fax Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003
- Add Scanners and Cameras Icon to the Desktop in XP Pro
- Add Scheduled Tasks Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003
- Add Spell Checking to Internet Explorer
- Change or Add OEM Logo and Information
- Customize a New XP Installation
- Customize Command Prompt in Windows XP/2000/2003
- Customize the Places Bar in Office XP
- Delete the Recycle Bin Icon from the Desktop in XP/2003
- Disable Shared Documents Folder in Windows XP
- Microsoft Powertoys Suit
- Quickly Search Active Directory from the Desktop
- Quickly Share Folders from Desktop
- Restore Classic Search in Windows XP
- Send To Notepad Shortcut
- Shell Enhancements and other Tweaks for Windows XP/2000/2003
More in Windows Client OS
Windows Autopilot Deployment: A Step-by-Step Guide
Jul 29, 2022 | Dean Ellerby
How to Fix The "Trust Relationship Between This Workstation And The Primary Domain Failed" Error
Jul 27, 2022 | Michael Reinders
How to Use the Icacls Command to Manage File Permissions
Jul 20, 2022 | Michael Reinders
July Patch Tuesday Updates Fix 84 Vulnerabilities and LDAP Gets TLS 1.3
Jul 13, 2022 | Laurent Giret
How to Fix the "Remote Desktop Connection - An Internal Error Has Occurred" Error
Jul 8, 2022 | Michael Reinders
Using Windows Boot Manager to Fix Startup Errors on Windows
Jun 29, 2022 | Sukesh Mudrakola
Most popular on petri