Recover Protected Office Documents
How can I open protected MS Excel files if I lost (or never knew) the password for opening them?
Hopefully there is a way to restore data without recovering password. And almost instantly. How is that possible
Protected MS Word/Excel documents are encrypted with the help of RC4 algorithm, on a key, computed by a password. For the standard encryption MS Office uses relatively short 40 bit key. This allows the sorting out of all 2^40 key values, to find a true value of the key, and to decrypt the document. Such an approach requires considerable (several days) computer time but always leads to a success. Pre-computing encryption keys and using knowledge of MS Office document’s structure makes recovery process almost instant.
Still sounds odd? Visit www.decryptum.com. This is the first instant recovery service for the password protected MS Word and Excel files. The site claims to have the following functionality:
- All Word/Excel 2003/2002/2000/97 files protected with original 40 bit encryption are supported
- Instant decryption – under 3 minutes per file, regardless of file password
- No software to download and install – service is web-only
- Free online preview of encrypted file content
- Secure service – all file submissions are encrypted by SSL protocol
Lets go through the recovery process with the test file called decrtyptum-test.xls. The file is protected with the password “DecryptumPWD”, but we will pretend we do not know that.
- After clicking “Start Decryption” you will be prompted to agree with “Service And Confidentiality Agreement”.
- On next screen you should enter PIN number. Lets leave PIN number entry field empty to run the service in demo mode.
- Step three – uploading the file through SSL encrypted channel.
- Now we should wait for the file to be decrypted. It takes about 30-40 seconds. Not so long.
- And here we have the preview of the file. Now you can consider if the file is worthwhile paying for decryption.
Nice, huh? Although there are other offline methods of cracking open a protected MS Office file, this method has proven to be one of the most cost effective methods that I know of.
You may find these related articles of interest to you:
More in Security
Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Adds Tamper Protection on macOS
Aug 16, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
Microsoft Sentinel Now Lets IT Admins Detect Low and Slow Password Spray Attacks
Aug 15, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
Google Workspace Adds Stronger Protections to Sensitive Accounts
Aug 11, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
Slack Releases Fix for Critical Bug That Exposed Hashed Passwords for Years
Aug 8, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
Microsoft Defender Experts for Hunting Lets Businesses Proactively Hunt Security Threats
Aug 4, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
VMware Releases Updates to Address Critical Authentication Bypass Flaw
Aug 3, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
Most popular on petri