Windows Vista Training & Tutorials for IT Admins
This page contains a collection of tweaking tips & tricks, articles and how-to guides, all related to Windows Vista.
- Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista
Although UAC clearly improves the security on Windows Vista, under some scenarios you might want to disable it, for example when giving demos in front of an audience (demos that are not security related, for example). This article details how to do just that. More…
- Forgot the Administrator’s Password? Learn how to access your computer without it.
If you need to gain access to a computer and cannot remember the administrator’s password, this article details a number of ways you can get around the issue. More…
- Advanced Drag-and-Drop Techniques in Vista
Dragging-and-dropping has been a part of the Windows operating system for a long time. Knowing what drag-and-drop does in each scenario is beneficial to the user’s productivity and ease of use. This article details some advanced drag and drop techniques you should know. More…
- Extending the System Partition in Windows 7
- Transfer User Files and Settings from Windows XP/Vista to Windows 7
- Windows Recovery Environment (RE): The Solution When A Computer Won’t Boot
- Quick Tip: How to Create a Network Connections Shortcut in Windows 7, Server 2008 and Vista Too!
- Evolution of Windows Firewall: Windows 7
- Evolution of Windows Firewall: Windows Vista Firewall
- Evolution of Windows Firewall: Windows XP with SP2
- Evolution of Windows Firewall: Windows XP
- Tools for Customizing Windows Server 2008 as a Workstation
- Customizing Windows Server 2008 as a Workstation – The Logic
- Correcting Multiple Monitor Configuration Issues in Vista
- It’s Official: Windows 7 Drops October 22nd!
- Quickly Access your Folders in Vista
- Add Missing User Properties Tabs in Active Directory Users and Computers on Windows Vista
- Get Your Desktop Icons Back in Vista
- Exclude VMware Virtual Adapters from Vista/2008 Network Awareness and Windows Firewall
- Aero Theme is Bad, Disable It
- Add “Remove Temporary Files” and “Run Disk Cleanup” to right-click menu
- Bypass UAC using a Desktop Shortcut
- Change the Default Boot Partition in Windows Vista
- Daniel Petri’s MCSE & System Administrator Job Interview Questions – Part 4 – PC Technician
- Determine the System Uptime in Windows Vista
- How to disable Local GPO processing in Windows Vista?
- How can I disable the User Account Control (UAC) feature on my Windows Vista computer?
- Can I disable the Windows Mail splash screen in Windows Vista?
- Enable BitLocker Encryption on Vista
- How To Enable Windows Vista Aero Graphics
- Enabling Telnet Client in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista
- Error While Installing Applications in Vista (like Adobe Acrobat Reader)
- Extend the Windows Vista Activation Period Up To 120 Days Using SLMGR.VBS
- Free Packet Sniffers for Windows 2003/Vista/2008
- Introduction to the Windows Vista Reliability and Performance Monitor – Generate a System Health Report
- Get the Windows Experience Index (WEI) score of a Vista Network Computer
- Can I hide the Security Center icon in Windows Vista?
- Hide your Vista Computer on the Network
- How to Hide Updates in Vista
- Increase your Windows Vista Performance with the Performance & Reliability Improvements Pack
- Browsing Websites and Downloading Files is Painfully Slow with Windows Vista
- Install Hebrew on Windows Vista
- Install WAMP on Windows Vista
- How can I install Windows Vista without supplying the product key?
- Installing Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) on Windows XP
- Installing Remote Server Administrative Tools on Windows Vista
- Installing Windows XP Ntbackup on Windows Vista
- Keyboard Accelerators in Windows Vista
- Keyboard Shortcuts in Windows Vista
- Microsoft Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool
- Missing Drag and Drop in Vista Command Prompt
- Mount ISO Files in Windows Vista
- Mounting Vista Backups
- MSG.EXE replaces Net Send in Windows Vista
- How can I open a Command Prompt (CMD) window during the Windows Vista installation process?
- Open in Regedit in IE
- How can I quickly add icons to the Quick Launch toolbar in Windows Vista?
- How can I quickly copy a file or a folder’s path in Windows Vista?
- How can I quickly edit the items in the Quick Launch toolbar in Windows Vista?
- Work with Vista Hibernation – Quickly Enable Hibernation & Quickly
- How can I quickly open Command Prompt (cmd) with elevated credentials in Windows Vista?
- How can I quickly open a Command Prompt on a folder in Windows Vista?
- Quickly Turn On/Off the Aero Theme in Vista
- How can I quickly zoom on file and folder details in Windows Vista?
- Remote to a Windows Vista Machine using VNC on Windows XP
- Restore Ntbackup Backups from Windows XP to Windows Vista
- How can I run the Windows Server 2003 SP1 Adminpak.msi on Windows Vista RTM?
- Setup an SSH Server in Vista
- Understanding Multiple Local GPOs in Windows Vista
- Using Backup Status and Configuration in Vista
- Using the Reliability Monitor in Windows Vista
- Using System Restore in Windows Vista
- Vista Blocked File Protection Control
- Vista Command Prompt
- What’s User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista?
- Why you should Upgrade to Windows Vista SP1
- Windows Mobile Device Center 6 for Windows Vista
- Working with Filtering and Custom Views in the Vista Event Viewer
- Working with Vista’s new Event Viewer
- How can I install Windows Vista?
- Error When Opening a .xnk Link with Outlook 2007
- Install VM Additions on Windows Vista Beta and Virtual Server R2
- Activate Vista Aero Interface on Windows Vista Basic Edition
- Add Context Menu Search Back to Vista SP1
- Add Logo and Support Information to Vista
- Adding the Administrator’s Account to the Vista Welcome Screen
- Add Desktop Icons in Windows Vista
- How can I add the Internet Explorer icon back to the Windows Vista desktop?
- Add “Take Ownership” to right-click menu in Vista
- Advanced Drag-and-Drop Techniques in Vista
- Artificially Raise Your Windows Experience Index
- Assigning Custom Tasks to Events in Vista
- Automatically back up your hard drive, delete temp files, and backup a Web site using batch scripting
- Business Desktop Deployment 2007 Tools for Vista
- Cannot Install Update for Windows Vista KB929777
- Change the Amount of Disk Space Used by System Restore in Windows Vista
- Change the Registered User and Company Name in Windows XP / Vista
- Change Windows Vista Boot Screen
- Changes in Vista Service Pack 1
- How to configure Multiple Local GPOs in Windows Vista?
- Control Usage of Portable Devices with GFI EndPointSecurity
- Create Executable Wrappers with IExpress in Windows Vista and Windows XP
- Create Quick Launch Shortcuts to Lock, Restart, and Shutdown Computer
- Customize Windows Vista in Two Clicks
- How to Quickly Analyze your Windows Server 2008 Performance Monitor Logs
- An Introduction to Windows Vista Sync Center – Sync files between your laptop and desktop
- What are the editions of Windows Vista?
- Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is RTM
- Windows Vista Windows Remote Assistance
- Working with the Favorite Items in Vista Explorer
- Change a Windows XP computer name when the computer cannot boot
- How to Partition Your Hard Drive
- Tweaking Windows Vista so it can run a bit faster
More in Windows Vista
How to use the Windows Recovery Environment
Apr 21, 2021 | Michael Reinders
Microsoft Closes the Book on Windows Vista
Apr 11, 2017 | Brad Sams
Paul Thurrott's Short Takes: March 17
Mar 17, 2017 | Paul Thurrott
Microsoft to Fix Zero-Day Windows Flaw That Was Outed by Google
Nov 2, 2016 | Paul Thurrott
SCARY: “Atom Bomb” Windows Security Hole said to be Unfixable
Oct 31, 2016 | Richi Jennings
Correcting Multiple Monitor Configuration Issues in Vista
Jul 15, 2009 | Daniel Petri
Most popular on petri