M365 Changelog: SharePoint: Updates for Microsoft Teams connected team sites
MC261534 – With this new feature, when you create a team in Microsoft Teams, a SharePoint team site will automatically get created in tandem and you are also able to connect any existing SharePoint team site to a new team in Microsoft Teams. These are called Microsoft Teams connected team sites.
For private channels in Microsoft Teams, a SharePoint team site automatically gets created and is known as a channel site. These Teams connected team sites and channel sites are managed differently than your typical SharePoint team site.
- Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 81945.
- Timing: This will roll out for Targeted release (select users and entire organization) beginning in late June and be complete by early July. Standard release will begin in mid-July and be complete by early August.
- Rollout: tenant level
- Control type: user control
- Action: review and assess
How this will affect your organization
The below updates to the viewing and management experience of Teams connected team sites and channel sites will simplify the end-user experience in the following ways:
Updates to managing site classification and site permissions:
- Site classification (sensitivity) and advanced site permissions could be managed in the SharePoint team site Settings pane.
- Site classification (including sensitivity labels and information barriers) will be read-only in SharePoint. Site permissions will not be available to edit in the SharePoint Advanced Settings page and instead will be managed in the team settings in Microsoft Teams.
The only exception to this rule is for a parent site. The parent site is a group connected team sites that hosts standard channels and is connected to private channel sites. The Parent site still allows edits to the site permissions from SharePoint.
New visual updates to the SharePoint team site header:
A Microsoft Teams icon in the site header and Go to Channel button in the document library command bar are designed to help users confirm the type of SharePoint site and channel and easily navigate to the connected team in Microsoft Teams or private channel.
Removal of the Go to Channel banner in document libraries:
The Go to Channel link has been updated to consistently be available in the command bar when viewing document libraries, while removing the additional banner that was occupying space in the library.
Simplified SharePoint team sites:
This update improves the template utilized for the channel sites by having the classic SharePoint features off-by-default and will employ the full capabilities of the modern team site.
What you need to do to prepare
You might want to notify your users about this new capability and update your training and documentation as appropriate.
More in SharePoint
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Microsoft Stream: Comment on a video or audio file in SharePoint and OneDrive
May 13, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: Microsoft Editor Spellcheck and Grammar in SharePoint Pages
May 10, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: Pin shared libraries to Quick Access
May 6, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Send Feedback on Image Tags
May 5, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Image Tags in SharePoint
May 5, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
M365 Changelog: Large Folder Delete on OneDrive and SharePoint Document Libraries on Web
May 3, 2022 | Petri Staff
Most popular on petri