M365 Changelog: Microsoft Teams: webinars plus new meeting registration options
MC250958 – Updated June 08, 2021: Microsoft has updated this post with additional details for clarity. Thank you for your feedback.
Microsoft are excited to announce the forthcoming availability of Teams webinar capabilities, beginning rollout at the end of April 2021, completing in May 2021.
Associated features that apply to webinars and meetings, include:
- Registration page creation with email confirmation for registrants.
- Reporting for registration and attendance.
These capabilities will be available to users with the following licenses: Office 365 or Microsoft 365 E3/E5/A3/A5/Business Standard/Business Premium. For the rest of 2021, Microsoft is offering temporary availability to Teams users to try the features with their existing commercial subscription.
Note: Microsoft will honor any existing meeting settings enabled within your organization.
- Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 80099, 65952, 66459, and 66586
- Timing: beginning of May (previously end of April) through end of May
- Control type: user control / admin control / admin UI
- Action: review and assess
How this will affect your organization
When scheduling a meeting, your users will see the Webinar option on the Calendar drop down menu in Teams (desktop/web).
Additionally, users will be able to add registrations for meetings and webinars for people in your organization and outside of your organization.
The registration feature will be on by default For everyone. In order to view who attended the webinars, Microsoft recommends setting the “AllowEngagementReport” policy to true.
Note: Microsoft will honor any existing meeting policies enabled within your organization:
- If allow scheduling private meetings is turned off, then users will not be able to schedule webinars.
- When anonymous join is disabled for the tenant, users can schedule a public webinar but it will fail on join.
- SharePoint lists are required in order to set up webinars. To set this up, learn more here: Control settings for Microsoft Lists
What you need to do to prepare
By default, all users within your tenant will be able to schedule webinars unless current policy configuration prohibits it.
Should you wish to restrict who can host a webinar that requires registration for everyone, change the WhoCanRegister policy accessed in the Teams admin center.
- You can disable this policy tenant-wide
- You can enable this policy for specific users
You can manage the registration feature in the Teams admin center or with PowerShell commands. There are three options for admin management.
- Turn off registration for the entire tenant (set AllowMeetingRegistration to False)
- Turn off registration for external attendees (set AllowMeetingRegistration to TRUE and WhoCanRegister to EveryoneInCompany)
- Give select users the ability to create a registration page that supports external attendees. All other users would be able create a registration page for people inside the tenant. (Leverage the New-CsTeamsMeetingPolicy cmdlet to create a new meeting policy that includes AllowMeetingRegistration to TRUE and WhoCanRegister to Everyone and then assign that to your specific users)
These policies are managed via PowerShell.
- Edit an existing Teams meeting policy by using the Set-CsTeamsMeetingPolicy cmdlet.
- Create a new Teams meeting policy by using the New-CsTeamsMeetingPolicy cmdlet and assign it to users.
You might want to notify your users about this new capability and update your training and documentation as appropriate.
More in Teams
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Expanded reactions in Microsoft Teams
Dec 1, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Export feature in Teams Admin Center
Sep 12, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Connected Templates
Aug 17, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: (Updated) 1:1 VOIP and PSTN call recording and transcription in Calls App V2
Aug 16, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Microsoft Teams: Casting from Teams desktop client to Microsoft Teams Rooms
Jul 12, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Announcing graph support for Get Team Template List
Jun 23, 2022 | Petri Staff
Most popular on petri