M365 Changelog: Microsoft Teams: meeting recordings saved to OneDrive and SharePoint
MC222640 – Updated February 16, 2021: We have updated the rollout timeline below. Thank you for your patience.
We’re changing the storage for new Teams meeting recordings to be stored on, and served from, OneDrive and SharePoint (ODSP) – instead of Microsoft Stream (Classic). Customers are able to opt in, opt out, or take no action with regard to these changes.
This change will apply to customers who either opt in or take no action following this announcement.
- Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID: 67138
- October 19, 2020 (Complete) – You can enable the Teams Meeting policy to have meeting recordings saved to OneDrive and SharePoint instead of Microsoft Stream (Classic)
- Rolling out starting January 7th, 2021 (Complete) – All new Teams meeting recordings will be saved to OneDrive and SharePoint unless you delay this change by modifying your organization’s Teams Meeting policies and explicitly setting them to “Stream”. Seeing the policy reporting as Stream is not enough. You need to explicitly set the policy value to “Stream”.
- Rolling out incrementally starting July 7th, 2021 to all customers (Enterprise and Education) – No new meeting recordings can be saved to Microsoft Stream (Classic); all customers will automatically have meeting recordings saved to OneDrive and SharePoint even if they’ve changed their Teams meeting policies to “Stream”. We recommend that customers roll this feature out before this date so that they can control the timing of the release.
- Rollout: Tenant level
- Control: Admin via PowerShell
How this will affect your organization:
This change impacts your organization in several ways:
- New featuresThe move to ODSP immediately unlocks long-awaited features including external and guest sharing, retention policy application (https://docs.microsoft.com/microsoft-365/compliance/apply-retention-labels-automatically), GoLocal support, and BYOK support for customers. Improved transcription quality, speaker attribution, transcript content search, and other features to follow in CY2021.
- Meeting storageNon-Channel meetings will be stored in the OneDrive of the person who clicked the record button in a special folder labeled “Recordings” – that sits at the top of the recorder’s OneDrive. Channel meetings will be stored in a folder labeled “Recordings” under a folder named after the channel under the Team’s document library.Customers using A1 licenses and saving meeting recordings to OneDrive and SharePoint will have an automatic 30-day expiration set on meeting recordings later in 2021. Additional communications to follow.
- PermissionsAll meeting invitees – except for external users – in non-channel meetings will automatically get a shared link to access the meeting recording. External users will need to be explicitly added to the shared list by the meeting organizer or the person that clicked the record button. For Channel meetings, permissions will be inherited from the owners and members list in the channel.
- Feature gapsThe following gaps exist today:
- Ability to block download of the video by meeting participants
- Ability to view and edit the transcript in the player.
- Non-English language transcripts/captions
- Variable playback speed in video player
What you need to do to prepare:
Customers are able to opt in, opt out, or take no action with regard to these changes. Changes in this communication will apply to customers who either opt in or take no action.
Tenant admins can opt in or opt out of OneDrive and SharePoint as the Teams meeting recording storage location via a Teams policy in PowerShell. Additionally, customers who wish to have captions for their meetings will need to enable transcript recording in Teams.
More in Teams
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Export feature in Teams Admin Center
Sep 12, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Connected Templates
Aug 17, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: (Updated) 1:1 VOIP and PSTN call recording and transcription in Calls App V2
Aug 16, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Microsoft Teams: Casting from Teams desktop client to Microsoft Teams Rooms
Jul 12, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Announcing graph support for Get Team Template List
Jun 23, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Microsoft Teams device store in Teams admin center
Jun 14, 2022 | Petri Staff
Most popular on petri