M365 Changelog:(Updated) Manage apps using the new Apps site (SharePoint Online)
MC329484 – Updated March 017, 2022: Microsoft has updated the rollout timeline below. Thank you for your patience.
The new Apps site (previously known as the App Catalog) will help you as a SharePoint or global admin to quickly get started distributing custom apps or acquiring independent software vendor (ISV) apps in your tenant to extend functionalities of SharePoint, Teams, and Viva Connections. You can use the new Apps site to store and distribute solutions in a streamlined and modernized experience.
This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 88844.
When this will happen:
- Targeted Release (selected users and organizations): Microsoft expects this to begin rolling out in early March (previously late February) and expects the rollout to be completed by mid-March (previously early March).
- Standard Release: Microsoft expects this rollout to begin in late March (previously mid-March) and expects that rollout to be completed by mid-April.
How this will affect your organization:
The first step is to create the Apps site if it has not already been created. Microsoft will create the new Apps site for your organization when an admin goes to the SharePoint admin center > More features > Apps > Open or when site owners create app requests from the SharePoint Store. It takes only a few minutes for the site to be created.
- To distribute a custom app to your tenant: On the Manage apps page, admins can upload and enable custom apps built by in-house developers or organizations they trust.
- To acquire more apps from the SharePoint Store: Admins can browse and install apps that meet business objectives directly from the SharePoint Store. Alternatively, admins can review the requests from site owners and choose to approve or decline.
Note: The new Apps site will roll out to all environments (Production, GCC, GCC-High, and DoD). App requests and links to the SharePoint Store are not available in the GCC, GCC-High, and DoD environments.
Creating the Apps site
Enable an uploaded app to the tenant
Add to all sites/Stop adding to new sites: Depending on the functionality that the app provides, the developer can set a flag that allows you to add the app to all sites in the organization. You can change the settings at any time by selecting Add to all sites/Stop adding to new sites. To learn more, see Tenant-scoped solution deployment for SharePoint Framework solutions.
Add to Teams: Some apps can be added to Teams if the solution contains components for Microsoft Teams. When a solution is added to all sites, the Add to Teams (known as Sync to Teams in the classic experience) button will be available. To learn more, see Deployment options for SharePoint Framework solutions for Microsoft Teams.
Update SharePoint Store apps: to update new versions for store apps, go to the classic experience.
- Note: There are no changes to the Configure Store Settings and Tenant Wide Extension pages in this release, and you can find links to these pages under More features in the Apps site.What you need to do to prepare:Please share this information with anyone who manages apps and reviews app requests in your organization. For admins using the Apps site (previously known as the App Catalog), see Manage apps using the Apps site.
- Learn how users request an app from the SharePoint Store: Add an app to a site (microsoft.com).
More in SharePoint Online
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Site Limits for SharePoint Lists, Libraries, and Subsites
Sep 19, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
M365 Changelog: Quick Access Teams and Sharepoint Document Libraries in win32 backstage
Sep 16, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Add, update, or delete images in Microsoft Lists via Power Apps
Sep 12, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
M365 Changelog: SharePoint - Medium People Card Now Available as Part of the People Web Part
Sep 9, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
M365 Changelog: SharePoint app bar – Temporary window to disable is extended
Sep 9, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Stream on SharePoint: Inline playback of videos in Hero web part
Sep 8, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
Most popular on petri