Install Windows 2000 after Windows XP
How do I install Windows 2000 after I’ve installed XP?
This procedure was performed on FAT32 drives but it should also work for NTFS.
Install Windows 2000
- Use a Win98/Me Startup disk (with CD support) to boot your computer. If you don’t have one, you can download the files to make a boot disk at www.bootdisk.com
- Insert your Windows 2000 CD into the CD Rom drive.
- At the A: prompt type X:\I386\WINNT.EXE where X: is your CD-ROM drive.
- Proceed with the install. Install Windows 2000 to a different partition than XP is installed in.
- Complete the Windows install. Allow the computer to boot into Windows 2000.
Note: You may also want to read this thorough guide on how to Install Windows 2000 Server.
Read the Best Personal and Business Tech without Ads
Staying updated on what is happening in the technology sector is important to your career and your personal life but ads can make reading news, distracting. With Thurrott Premium, you can enjoy the best coverage in tech without the annoying ads.
Repairing the Windows XP Boot Loader
Note: Some users have reported that Step 1 is not necessary, but in testing I found that it was. Since the C: drive is FAT32, you can use a 98/Me boot disk and skip Step 1, if you wish, but you may find that you need to do it anyway.
Boot your computer with the Windows XP CD. When prompted to Setup or Repair, choose Repair. In the Recovery Console, enter the following commands.
- FIXBOOT, answer Yes
- ATTRIB -H NTLDR
- ATTRIB -S NTLDR
- ATTRIB -R NTLDR
- ATTRIB -H NTDETECT.COM
- ATTRIB -S NTDETECT.COM
- ATTRIB -R NTDETECT.COM
- COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\
- COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
In Steps 9 and 10, X is the letter of your CD-Rom drive.
Note: This tip was originally written by Doug Knox
You may also want to read:
- Change Default Location of the i386 Folder
- Customize a New XP Installation
- Deploy Windows XP through GPO
- Install Hebrew on Windows 2000
- Install Hebrew on Windows XP
- Install Hebrew on Windows Server 2003
- Install Windows 2000 Server
- Install Windows 98 after Windows XP
- Install Windows Server 2003
- Install Windows Vista
- Install Windows XP on Large FAT32 Partitions
- Install Windows XP Pro
- Remove Windows 2000/XP/2003 but Keep Windows 98
- Remove Windows 98 but Keep Windows 2000/XP/2003
- SBS 2000 Installation Tips
- Windows XP Supported Upgrade Paths
- Uninstall Windows XP
- What’s the HCL?