Installing the Remote Desktop Services role in Windows Server 2012
How do I install the Remote Desktop Services role in Windows Server 2012?
Windows Server 2012 includes a new management service that replaces the four consoles that were used to manage RDS in Windows Server 2008 R2. To access the Remote Desktop Management Server (RDMS), you should use the new Remote Desktop Services installation process. If you use the standard add server role or feature methods, the RDMS service won’t get installed on the Connection Broker. So, now let’s go ahead and take a look at how to install the Remote Desktop Services (RDS) role on Windows Server 2012 Server.
Install Remote Desktop Services in WS2012
The following instructions can be performed using Server Manager on a server that will have the RDS role added, or using Server Manager from a remote server. Whichever method you choose, you will need to use an account that has local administrative permissions on the server to which the RDS role will be added.
- Open Server Manager from the desktop Task Bar or Start screen.
- In the left pane of Server Manager, select All Servers or a server group.
- Click Next on the Before you begin screen in the Add Roles and Features Wizard.
- On the Select installation type screen, select Remote Desktop Services installation and click Next.
- On the Select deployment type screen, select Quick Start and click Next to install RDS on one server.
- Select Session-based desktop deployment on the Select deployment scenario screen and click Next. This option allows users to connect to server-based desktops and applications, as opposed to applications and desktops running in virtual machines.
- On the Select a server screen, add or remove a server from the Server Pool as required and then click Next. To deselect a server, right-click a server in the list and select Remove from the menu.
- On the Confirm selections screen, check Restart the destination server automatically if required and click Deploy.
- When the installation has completed, click Close in the Add Roles and Features Wizard.
Go back to Server Manager and you should see the Remote Desktop Services node in the left pane, which connects to the Remote Desktop Management Server so you can manage the new collection.
Read the Best Personal and Business Tech without Ads
Staying updated on what is happening in the technology sector is important to your career and your personal life but ads can make reading news, distracting. With Thurrott Premium, you can enjoy the best coverage in tech without the annoying ads.