Internet Explorer 7 Crashes when Posting Messages in OWA 2003
We all love Outlook Web Access (OWA) in Exchange Server 2003. However when using Internet Explorer 7 (if you still don’t have it read Download IE7) to browse to OWA 2003 we’ve encountered a nasty problem:
You compose a new message:
You click on Send, and boom:
Microsoft has acknowledges this to be a problem (read MS KB 924334 for more info) and has posted a hotfix that needs to be installed on the Exchange servers.
Download the hotfix right here: Update for Exchange Server 2003 SP2 (KB 924334) (2.8mb)
Note: During the installation of this hotfix the Exchange Information Store service will be stopped and re-started, therefore plan for a couple of minutes of downtime for your mailboxes.
Important note about using Front-End and Back-End servers: If you have a FE/BE setup you MUST install this hotfix on all Front-End servers BEFORE installing it on the Back-End servers. Otherwise you might have issues with OWA (thank you Guy Teverovsky for this input).
After installing the hotfix on the server you must uninstall the S/MIME control from any computer that’s using IE7, and reinstall the new S/MIME control from the server.
In order to remove the S/MIME control use Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel.
After removing the old S/MIME control, use OWA’s Options screen to install it again (this time it’ll be the new version):
When you’ll look at the Add/Remove Programs applet (and on the Exchange server in the Exchweb folder) you’ll see you’ve got a new version:
Note: Microsoft has released a new version of this hotfix – see updated download link below. After installing the new version you will see a new version number in the Add/Remove Programs applet:
Users should now remove the older hotfix and re-install the new one.
You may find these related articles of interest to you:
- Configuring Forms-Based Authentication in OWA and Exchange 2003
- Configure ISA to Publish OWA
- Configure Message Security in Exchange 2003
- Configure Message Security in Outlook 2003
- Configure Message Security in OWA 2003
- Configure OMA in Exchange 2003
- Configure OWA 2003 Attachment Blocking
- Configure SSL on OMA
- Configure SSL on OWA
- Configure SSL on Your Website with IIS
- Configure Web Access to Newsgroups Hosted on Exchange 2000/2003
- Disable Spell Checking in OWA 2003
- Enable Password Changing through OWA in Exchange 2003
- Hebrew Subject Problems in OWA 2003
- Internet Explorer 7 Crashes when Opening Exchange System Manager Help
- How to Synchronize a Pocket PC with Exchange 2003?
- Problems with Forms-Based Authentication and SSL in ActiveSync
- Removing S/MIME Control in OWA 2003
- Reset OWA 2000/2003 Language
- Test OMA in Exchange 2003
- Web Access to Alternate PF
The Compose Message form stops responding after you install Internet Explorer 7.0 and the S/MIME control on an Outlook Web Access client in Exchange Server 2003 – 924334
Download details: Update for Exchange Server 2003 SP2 (KB 924334) (2.8mb)
MS Exchange Blog : IE7, OWA and S/MIME
More in Exchange Server
Microsoft to Ship Some Exchange Server Security Updates in .EXE Packages
May 11, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
M365 Changelog: Exchange Transport Rule Report moving to the new Exchange Admin Center (EAC) from the Security and Compliance Center
Apr 22, 2022 | Petri Staff
Hive Ransomware Group Attacks Vulnerable Microsoft Exchange Servers
Apr 22, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Change to mailbox forwarding behavior coming to Exchange Online
Apr 21, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Microsoft Defender for Office 365: Updates to URL Protection Report
Apr 21, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: Feature update: Modern Dynamic Distribution Groups
Apr 14, 2022 | Petri Staff
Most popular on petri