Windows XP THINKS it’s in Safe Mode

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro Windows XP THINKS it’s in Safe Mode

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    sruliwolff

I have an interesting scenario on one of my clients machines.

They had a bunch of malware on one of their computers which we cleaned no problem, there was one issue with one of them (Vundo) which gets itself in the winlogon portion of the registry which we fixed using Atribune’s Vundofix tool.

That was all fixed about two weeks ago and the computer ran fine till last Friday.

As of friday when the computer is switched on, it boots into normal mode (screen resolution is fine, programs are starting in the taskbar) but most of the services were not running, when I tried to start them manually it says error 1084: cannot start in safe mode. The virus scanner obviously isn’t running because the services aren’t.

I even tried running a windows repair (inplace upgrade) using the xp sp2 cd but it did the first portion (copying and seting up some of the files) but now everytime it boots it tries to finish the installation but it says it cannot continue in safe mode you have to boot into Normal Mode, but it is in Normal Mode.

Computer running Windows XP Pro sp2.

Has anyone come across this before?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Sruli

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.