Windows Server 2003 Stndrd DC Recovery

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2 Windows Server 2003 Stndrd DC Recovery

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    mrsharique

I have Windows Server 2003 Standard machine with single domain configured.It has ISA Server 2006 Ent. Edition and MS Exchange Server 2003 with SP1 on seperate Member Server.

I have taken System State and complete C Drive backup of Domain Controller. Suppose, my DC crashes suddenly.

Now, I reinstall same OS as before. Now, in what order should i restore backup. I have come up with two scenarios.Keep in mind the hardware is same.Disaster in a sense that Windows Server 2003 Stndrd installation crashed not hardware.I have yet to come across such disasters but wants to prepare in advance to avoid delay in recovery.

Scenario 1.

1. Reinstall Same OS.

2. Give it same machine name and IP address.

3. Restart the machine in Directory Services Restore Mode and restore System State backup.After restoration, restart it again in normal mode.

4. Restore C Drive Backup.

Scenario 2.

1. Reinstall Same OS.

2. Give it same machine name and IP Address.

3. run DCPROMO and configure same domain name as before and do necessary restart of machine as required by DCPROMO

4. Restart the machine in Directory Services Restore MOde and restore System State Backup. After restoration, restart in normal Mode.

5. restore C Drive Backup

Now, is it necessary to have a C drive backup to restore DC to its previous state or just System State Backup is enough?.
    Will the GUID of domain be same again as it was before if i restore backup using Scenario 1 and Scenario 2(whichever fits good)./
    Will all WinXP clients log in successfully without rejoining them to domain again?
    What if i change the hardware and restoring those backup will be successfull.?
    do i need to restore C drive backup in Directory Services Restore Mode or in Normal Mode?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.