Westell Versalink 327w not giving private IPs to client computer; Client has pub IP

Home Forums Networking DSL, Cable, and other Broadband Issues Westell Versalink 327w not giving private IPs to client computer; Client has pub IP

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Nonapeptide

Okay, this one has me completely stymied.

A friend of mine has a Westell Versalink 327w as his gateway to a home broadband network connection. Here’s the full manual and the Quick Start guide for the Versalink.

Here’s the problem: I happened to notice that my friend’s laptop was showing that it had a public IP address while on his home network. Using the cable or wireless connection made no difference. Worred, I tried to connect to that IP address from the outside but was rejected. My friend tried to connect to that IP address via a web browser and saw a default Apache web page. My assumption was that it is an Apache installation on his MacBook that he was seeing and that the Versalink is ‘smart’ enough to block requests for that IP address coming from the WAN port. I wanted to change his home network to use a NATed IP address scheme, However I can’t find a way to get to a management interface for the router. Interestingly, he happened to have an identical 327w that he had never used. He took that out of the box, plugged it in and it too is assigning his lone MacBook his external IP and we can’t seem to find a way to access the router directly.

Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone seen similar behavior? How can I manage this device when it seems to forward any and all traffic to a host on the network? What type of network behavior is this? It doesn’t seem to be 1 to 1 NAT as that should still give the local device a private IP. This is beginning to cause problems as he now has a second computer but it cannot connect to the network at all. I’m assuming that only one client is allowed while the router is behaving like this.

It’s always seems to be the home grade equipment that gives me the most problems. Give me a SonicWall any day. :mrgreen:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

External Sharing and Guest User Access in Microsoft 365 and Teams

This eBook will dive into policy considerations you need to make when creating and managing guest user access to your Teams network, as well as the different layers of guest access and the common challenges that accompany a more complicated Microsoft 365 infrastructure.

You will learn:

• Who should be allowed to be invited as a guest?
  • What type of guests should be able to access files in SharePoint and OneDrive?
  • How should guests be offboarded?
  • How should you determine who has access to sensitive information in your environment?

Sponsored by:

Office 365 Coexistence for Mergers & Acquisitions: Don’t Panic! Make it SimpleLive Webinar on Tuesday, November 16, 2021 @ 1 pm ET

In this session, Microsoft MVPs Steve Goodman and Mike Weaver, and tenant migration expert Rich Dean, will cover the four most common steps toward Office 365 coexistence and explain the simplest route to project success.

• Directory Sync/GAL Sync – How to prepare for access and awareness
  • Calendar Sharing – How to retrieve a user’s shared calendar, or a room’s free time
  • Email Routing – How to guarantee email is routed to the active mailbox before and after migration
  • Domain Sharing – How to accommodate both original and new SMTP domains at every stage

Aimed at IT Admins, Infrastructure Engineers and Project Managers, this session outlines both technical and project management considerations – giving you a great head start when faced with a tenant migration.the different layers of guest access and the common challenges that accompany a more complicated Microsoft 365 infrastructure.

Sponsored by: