VB Login script intermittently does not run

Home Forums Scripting Windows Script Host VB Login script intermittently does not run

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • jmcg

Hi All,

I have a really frustrating problem with vb logon scripts.

To give you some background information on the environment in question

In the past month i have replaced both the domain controllers in HQ with servers which are more than adequate in terms of specification imo,

The OS for both DC’s is Server 2003 Enterprise R2

FSMO roles are split between the 2 dc’s

The scripts were written using scriptlogic, the scripts themselves do not have any errors, if they are ran manually they straight away map all required network drives. In addition to this frustratingly the script will run sometimes, no issues whatsoever for anyone.
    But as often as it does run it does not.

I had put this down to the previous dc’s being antequated and very slow, therefore they weren’t capable of processing the logon requests from all the clients, there would be circa 180 – 200 pc’s in hq.

I have tried to do as much troubleshooting as i can but now i am at a loss as to what else to try.

For any users who had this issue a lot the first thing that was attempted was to add a registry key to the following location:

HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon

Insert dword

RunLoginScriptSync

Value set to 1

This has had minimal impact on resolving the fault.

Next I replaced the dc’s for hq

As a trial i changed how the login script is applied to the user.
    (I picked on the IT dept as guinea pigs)

This has previously been defined on an individual basis under the profile tab of their account in AD
    eg user joe bloggs would use ITLoginscript.vbs

This is now defined in group policy for the whole o.u

However this has had no impact on how frequently the script runs successfully.

The next change I tried was to enable the group policy setting –
    Always wait for the network at startup and logon
    Found at the following location:
    Computer Configuration
    Administrative Templates
    System
    Logon

However this has had no impact on how frequently the script runs successfully, but users now have a longer logon time due to having to wait for the logon screen to appear.

I have ran DCDiag and Replmon on the dc’s but no errors have been reported.

I have completely ran out of ideas on this and I would really appreciate any advice / suggestions as to how to resolve this.

Many thanks

Jonathan

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

External Sharing and Guest User Access in Microsoft 365 and Teams

This eBook will dive into policy considerations you need to make when creating and managing guest user access to your Teams network, as well as the different layers of guest access and the common challenges that accompany a more complicated Microsoft 365 infrastructure.

You will learn:

• Who should be allowed to be invited as a guest?
  • What type of guests should be able to access files in SharePoint and OneDrive?
  • How should guests be offboarded?
  • How should you determine who has access to sensitive information in your environment?

Sponsored by:

Office 365 Coexistence for Mergers & Acquisitions: Don’t Panic! Make it SimpleLive Webinar on Tuesday, November 16, 2021 @ 1 pm ET

In this session, Microsoft MVPs Steve Goodman and Mike Weaver, and tenant migration expert Rich Dean, will cover the four most common steps toward Office 365 coexistence and explain the simplest route to project success.

• Directory Sync/GAL Sync – How to prepare for access and awareness
  • Calendar Sharing – How to retrieve a user’s shared calendar, or a room’s free time
  • Email Routing – How to guarantee email is routed to the active mailbox before and after migration
  • Domain Sharing – How to accommodate both original and new SMTP domains at every stage

Aimed at IT Admins, Infrastructure Engineers and Project Managers, this session outlines both technical and project management considerations – giving you a great head start when faced with a tenant migration.the different layers of guest access and the common challenges that accompany a more complicated Microsoft 365 infrastructure.

Sponsored by: