Using NIC teaming with multiple ISP connections

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2012 / 2012 R2 Using NIC teaming with multiple ISP connections

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    vedekandy

Hi there,

Forgive me for asking this – I could be missing something obvious – but I’m new around here, and am trying to work out if this is possible.

I’m about to install a Server 2012 R2 server in the office here. The building has quite a nice infrastructure – it’s fully network cabled, is running multiple Cisco switches in the server room, and currently has a couple of servers already installed and running, to handle cameras, phones, etc. Everything’s already set up for me to simply drop the server in place, hook it up to a switch, assign it a fixed IP address and we’re good to go. There’s only one small fly in the ointment, that no-one told me about – the internet speed on-site is abysmal. Truly terrible, and thanks to where the office is, we can’t get any better than we currently have.

This lead me to think about line bonding and suchlike, and my actual question: Since the server I have has two NICs built-in, and we could add another DSL line on the premises alongside the current one, would it be possible to hook up a second DSL line (via their supplied router/modem) to the second NIC in the server (the first NIC hooked up to the switch, and the rest of the network) and use the new NIC Teaming option to balance the load across both connections?

I’m aware that if – say – we had 2 x 50mbit download/25mbit upload lines and this worked, it still wouldn’t allow me to (for example) download a file at 100mbit speed; I’d assume that it would allow two users to download a file at 50mbit speed each, and generally alleviate the congestion that they’re going to face by using one slow net connection. Or that’s the hope!

Is this something that the NIC Teaming option would allow? Or am I misunderstanding the technology? Any advice and insight would be gratefully received :razz:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.