Upgrading Win2000 to Win2003 mode.

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2 Upgrading Win2000 to Win2003 mode.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • hlobell

I’m needing to update my Win2003 AD role. I came into this job and the Exchnage server is on a Win2k3 domain running in Win2000 mode. Plus the Exchnage server does not have any Service Packs. I can’t install Exchnage SP unless I run the domain and forest prep.

I need my domain to be switched from Win2000 to Win2003 mode so I can update my Exchange server plus I’m wanting to install Office messanger server but can’t with the domain in 2000 mode.

My question is this. There are 3 domains here and 2 of them are Win200 domains and one Win2003 in Win 2000 mode.

My Win2003 domain running in Win200 mode needs to be upgraded. but I’m worried that the other 2 domains will have a problem if I switch the Win2003 domain from Win2000 to Win 2003 mode? Will this break anythig with the other domains?

Domains are laid out like this.

win2k3.company.com
    win2k.company.com
    win2k.company.com

Can I upgrade my Win2003 domain to win2003 without hurting the older domains till I can get to them next?

Thanks in advance?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Don't leave your business open to attack! Come learn how to protect your AD in this FREE masterclass!REGISTER NOW - Thursday, December 2, 2021 @ 1 pm ET

Active Directory (AD) is leveraged by over 90% of enterprises worldwide as the authentication and authorization hub of their IT infrastructure—but its inherent complexity leaves it prone to misconfigurations that can allow attackers to slip into your network and wreak havoc. 

Join this session with Microsoft MVP and MCT Sander Berkouwer, who will explore:

• Whether you should upgrade your domain controllers to Windows Server
    2019 and beyond
  • Achieving mission impossible: updating DCs within 48 hours
  • How to disable legacy protocols and outdated compatibility options in
    Active Directory

Sponsored by: