Upgrading a bad copy of XP pro to a valid copy.

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro Upgrading a bad copy of XP pro to a valid copy.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    jbgood

A few years ago, I purchased a version of Windows XP SP1 with a computer from a local computer store…

When Microsoft upgraded it with SP2 with live update, they told me that I didn’t have a good Product ID#… ( The store has since gone out of business :( )

I finally purchased a new copy of windows XP Pro OEM with a new hard drive…

Of course the OEM copy won’t let you upgrade the old copy…

I would like to just plug in the New Product codes without blowing up the old windows…

I downloaded a copy of Jelly Bean KeyFinder and see that it will let you plug in a new product key…

Question: If I do plug in the good key, will Microsoft now recognize my new key as valid and register it?

Or with the new key inserted, will it let me install the new oem copy over the old?

If I plug in the new key and reboot and it doesn’t like it, what happens then?

I have read a couple of articles that address similar issues but not exactly because I already am using XP Pro SP2 due to live update, I just want to either plug in a new product key or be able to install with the new XP oem over the old copy…

Any help would be greatly appreciated…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.